Increased Tummy Size After Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Hello! After I took the strap off my tummy, I got bigger by 8cm. Is this normal? I had a tummy tuck surgery a month ago because of a huge weight loss.

Yesterday, I took off my strap. Today I felt swollen and I measured my tummy and in one day I got bigger by 8cm... I also have the "fluid wave" going on. Is this normal?

Sounds like fluid collection after Tummy Tuck

+2

If your increase in girth has happened suddenly, that can only be a collection of fluid under the skin and fat. Your surgeon should be able to remove this in the office with a needle and syringe. If it comes back, it might need drains for a while.

Seroma after tummy tuck

+2

Seroma is one of the most common complications following tummy tuck surgery in a weight-loss patient. A seroma is a collection of fluid that develops underneath the skin flaps.

Drains are normally placed at the time of the surgery to help prevent this, but fluid can still sometimes accumulate after they are removed. Most of the time, small collections of fluid will resolve on their own although may take several weeks or months. If the collection is large or in any way symptomatic, then it may require drainage by your doctor.

I would suggest following up with your surgeon to have him evaluate the problem and determine if drainage is necessary. Once the fluid has been drained or resolved, and swelling has subsided, I expect your abdominal contours will improve.

Mitchel Krieger, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Fluid wave after Tummy Tuck = Seroma

+1

IF you are experiencing a fluid wave after a tummy tuck, it is quite likely that you have a seroma collection which should probably be aspirated.

Fluid wave after a tummy tuck

+1

A fluid wave with increasing girth may be a seroma cavity. This is fluid that will most likely need to be aspirated to help flatten the stomach.

Tummy tucks can have a dramatic effect on your waist and curves

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective technique to contour the abdomen. Patients appreciate the dramatic difference in the size and contour of their abdomen. Patients who undergo this procedure should understand that there is a significant recovery process. In our practice, we provide two separate garments to every patient to help them manage the postoperative swelling and provide support that will increase their comfort level. At the initial part of the healing process, patients may notice a significant difference when they removed their garments. Rest assured that this difference will become less and less noticeable as your body resolves the swelling on its own and you reach your final shape.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Fluid build-up after Tummy tuck

+1

A seroma is the most common complication after a tummy tuck procedure and can easily be prevented using drains. However, this can easily be dealt with by your plastic surgeon. He would need to aspirate the fluid using a syringe and needle. Fluid may accumulate even afterwards but this is normal.