Tummy Tuck with Treated Hepatitis C?

I was diagnosed with hepc 10 years ago and after 6 months of interferon it has been undetectable since. Would this interfer with my getting a tummy tuck which I am hoping to do this year at age 50.

Tummy Tuck in a patient with Hepatitis C

+1

Hi there-

I completely agree with Dr. Rand...

A tummy tuck is technically possible for you, given you good health at this point.

What is really at issue here, though, is the risk you are asking your surgeon to take in order for you to look better.

You should be very honest with surgeons you meet with about your history, and be prepared to accept the possibility that they may not be comfortable putting their own health and futures on the line for your aesthetic improvement.

Abdominoplasty in patients with Hepatitis C

+1

I would agree with the other surgeons who answered this question for you quite honestly. As long as you present yourself and your wishes honestly, with the information detailing your status as to having hepatitis C, there is no medical contraindication to you having a tummy tuck performed.

This allows the surgeon to access the risk both to you, which is your concern of course, and the risk to your surgeon, which you should also consider. I have already performed breast augmentations and abdominoplasties in patients with Hepatitis C to the satisfaction of both.

Richard M. Levin, MD
Lancaster Plastic Surgeon

Hepatitis C and cosmetic surgery

+1

Assuming you are healthy otherwise, you should have no problems recovering from cosmetic procedures.

You should fully disclose your health history as having had Hepatitis C and allow your doctor to decide if he/she is willing to accept the risk of a needle stick in the operating room.

Best wishes with getting it done.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy tuck is safe despite a history of hepatitis

+1

Tummy tuck is a safe procedure for all individuals provided that they are screened and prepared appropriately with a current medical examination. Any chronic medical condition that is well managed does not preclude a tummy tuck, though for patients with known medical conditions an examination by their personal physician before hand, known as 'medical clearance' is an important step. This ensures that the doctor who knows you best has the opportunity to make sure that any health issues you may have are addressed and optimum. Hepatitis C is a blood born viral infection that can cause damage to the liver, and it is wonderful that you have been in remission for ten years. If your current health is good your tummy tuck should be safe.

peterejohnsonmd

Hepatitis C and tummy tuck surgery

+1

You should be able to have a tummy tuck without any issues, but your surgeon may request medical clearance prior to surgery. We take universal precautions for all patients, regardless of their infectious status, but you should nonetheless give this information to your surgeon as part of your medical history. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

You can have tummy tuck with a history of Hepatitis C.

+1

Hi!

In New York City, we have done operations like tummy tuck and breast lift on women with Hepatitis C. We just take extra precautions to avoid needle sticks.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck with HepC

+1

Given that you have been treated and appear to be healthy, it is technically possible for you to have a tummy tuck. However, ethically you should tell any surgeon about your history and accept it calmly and graciously if they decide they don't want to take the risk operating on you for an elective not medically necessary procedure. Remember that you are asking them to expose themselves to a potentially lethal disease and expose their staff to the same so you can have a flat tummy.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS