Tummy Tuck Through C-section Scar, Is This Possible?

I'm in the process of considering getting a tummy tuck and possibly a breast augmentation. I'm not ready (financially) to get it done just yet but I'm looking into several surgeons in my area. I have had two children via c-section. My scar is very low, lower than a lot of post op photo's I've seen of tummy tucks. Can that scar be used to do a tummy tuck? I'm aware that the length of the scar would need to be longer but I want the scar to be as low as possible, right where my c section scar is.

Tummy Tuck through C-section scar

+1

Kristin, Yes, tummy tucks frequently are performed at the level of a C-section scar. The scar is removed and replaced by the tummy tuck scar in most cases. If you can make the time with two small children, you may want to go ahead with your  in-office consultations  to discuss your particular needs and learn as much as you can so you can plan appropriately for the future when you are ready to proceed.  .

Mommy's Want To Be Able To Wear Bikini's Too

+1

This is a great question that many of my patients ask. As a board certified plastic surgeon, I try to leave as minimal of a scar possible, or at least as discreet as possible. When it comes to the tummy tuck incision, this is difficult to obtain due to several factors. First of all, this scar will typically run hip to hip. Depending on how high your belly button is on your abdomen, there is possibly a need to make a vertical incision (which I have seen heal extremely well) in the pubic region if we choose to make the tummy tuck incision extremely low. Usually your C-Section scar is removed and we go even slightly lower. I try to make the scar as low as anatomically possible, so you can still wear a bikini on the beach... what's the point of doing a tummy tuck if you can't show of your new abdomen? I know you also talked about possibly wanting to have breast surgery at the same time... this is the perfect time to do it. If you do not need a lift and are purely looking for increased volume in your breasts, the implants can be placed through your tummy tuck incision... which means NO SCARS on your breasts! I hope this helps in your future decision to have a tummy tuck. Remember to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon before you make your final decision. Good Luck! 

Peter Newen, MD

Tummy tucks usually remove your old c-section scars

+1

and it would take an examination to determine if yours could be done... general rule is if your scar is 2 inches or more above your genitals, it will be removed with the procedure.  If your belly button cannot be pulled down to the scar, you could end up with a vertical scar as well.  Discuss your concerns and goals with your chosen surgeon.

Curtis Wong, MD

C Section scar Removed through tummy tuck

+1

We are seeing women now with much lower C section scars and I always go below it to remove it..and it does make it challenging! But bikini's are also being worn lower as well....The biggest risk is that the patient may end up with a small vertical incision down by her pubis, which usually heals really well....but that is the biggest risk...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for your question.  Without photos it is not possible to answer this question intelligently.  However, this all depends on how much redundancy you have and the position of your belly button.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasties incorporate a previous C-section scar is part of the soft tissue removal.

+1

In a conventional abdominoplasty a C-section scar will be removed as part of the operation.

Tummy Tuck and c-section scar

+1

Your c-section scar would be removed for a Tummy Tuck incision and this can be kept low. The hole that is closed when moving the belly button opening down may not come out completely and need to be closed with a small vertical incision when the tummy Tuck scar is very low. Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and see lots of pictures of the results you are looking for. Tummy Tucks are done very differently by different doctors. Best wishes in your search.

James A. Hoffman, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

C-Section Scar and Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

I agree that placement of the tummy tuck scar in a low position is cosmetically preferable.  It is probably quite likely that your tummy tuck scar can be placed in the area of your C-section scar.  I typically will excise the C-section scar rather than actually incise within the previous scar as the incision will likely heal better but the position would still be the same.  Make sure to discuss your concerns when you have your consultations.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck San Diego through C section scar?

+1

The answer is YES, your C section scar may be used for mini-tummy tuck, or even full tummy tuck, depending upon other features of your anatomy and your desired result.

Steve Laverson, MD

+1

Thank you for the question.  For the vast majority of patients, it is possible to use previous C-section scars ( no matter how low) as the central part of the tummy tuck incision line. The use of progressive tension sutures helps prevent undue tension on the closure line. Sometimes, for patients with a relatively “high riding umbilicus” and low C-section scar, a short vertical closure line may become necessary.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the results you are looking for. Communicate your goals, in regards to abdominal wall contouring and breast surgery, carefully.