Is It Safe to Have Tummy Tuck and Thighplasty Together?

Is it safe to do a Tummy Tuck (fleur de lis) and inner Thighplasty together safe or is it too much cutting? Does it increase the risk of blood loss and blood clots? Thank you!

Tummy Tuck and Thigh Lift

+3

Yes, I feel that is too much surgery. You will get some surgeons who would tell you that it is fine. But it sounds like you have a lot of skin to remove by doing a fleur di lis which will be a fairly long procedure and then a thigh plasty.....that is just way too much surgery.

All complications risks increase: bleeding, infection, blood clots and so forth.

Good luck and dont take the risk, break up the procedures.

Multiple surgical procedures in one session

+1

Hi, I would advise against having both procedures done at the same time. Our surgical research has shown a higher risk of potentially fatal complications when tummy tuck surgery is combined with other procedures. In addition, with so much time under anesthesia, your risk of anesthetic complications would increase. This is elective surgery, so it's hard to justify the increased risk. I would advise you to have the tummy tuck done first, followed by the thighplasty 3-6 months later. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and thigh lift should not be done at the same operation

+1

Although I frequently do combined procedures I do not combine a tummy tuck with a thigh lift.

I agree with others comments about the risk of blood clots or thrombophlebitis.

In addition, i am concerned about the risk of wound healing problems and infection with possible contamination by the different bacterial flora that reside in the medial thigh area which may be differnt from that in the abdominal area.

Just not worth the risk in my opinion.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and thigh lift.

+1

Hi!

Do not do tummy tuck and thigh lift together.  You increase the risk of blood clots to the lungs.  It's just not worth the extra risk of a very serious complication.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Icreased risk

+1

This is a whole lot of surgery and a long time under anesthesia. It will be a difficult recovery as well. It can be done safely, but with all that time under aneshtesia, and all of the surgery you will be at increased risk of blood loss, blood clots, infection, pneumonia, wound healing problems, etc., etc. You must not smoke and you must be in excellent physical condition to undergo both procedures at one time. I would urge you to consider doing them separately, especially since you make no mention of your health situation.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Safety of tummy tucks and thigh surgery - not for me!

+1

Because the major risk of a tummy tuck is blood clots in the veins (DVT), I personally never do operations on the legs at the same time because it is critical to walk in the postop period to minimize the risk of DVT.  Just my opinion, but I never do that. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

It can be done safely

+1

Dear Moosie,

Although this can be done safely, it is not the way I prefer to do the surgery.

I will do the abdominal contouring along with the outer thigh and buttock in a procedure called a lower body lift. I will then return in a second stage to contour the inner thigh. I find the recovery from this is better tolerated and the overall aesthetic improvement better than when the sequence is altered.

I do believe the complication rate from the combination you describe is higher but there is no literature to support that statement.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Inner thigh lift and Fleur-de-lis tummy tuck

+1

Whether something is possible and whether it is recommended are certainly different issues. As you can see even the "experts" can have differing opinions. I am from a more conservative approach to get maximum recovery with the least amount of risk. Although I do combine certain procedures, these are two that I would generally stage.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Combination surgery does have some advantages

+1

Combining body contouring procedures is commonly done. It is safe if all of the risks are considered and addressed as best as possible. If you are in good medical condition then you should be able to tolerate the combined procedures.

We have found that about 6 hours of surgery and anesthesia time is the right threshold for length of surgery. Each procedure will have some blood loss and your surgeon will need to consider this in the planning. Blood clots are a factor of static blood circulation due to lack of muscle movements. The longer the surgery the greater the risk of blood clots but there are machines and stockings that help blood to circulate. Walking is your best prevention of blood clots.

Combining procedures does eliminate your need to under go another anesthetic and recovery. Consider all the issues with your surgeon and see what works best for you.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Combination Surgery Can Be Safe

+1

My experience is that when the lower bikini incision is combined with the inner thigh incision, it is quite a bit harder on patients to wear the garment, sit comfortably, and generally get up and about easily. Swelling is also increased.

I routinely perform an outer thigh lift with my body lifts, but the inners are usally done at Stage II along with the arms.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS