Is a Tummy Tuck the Only Way to Alleviate Pain Caused by Skin Hanging over C-section Scar?

I have three kids. 2 C-sections and a VBAC for second birth. I had last C-section 3 years ago, but still have discomfort in the area of the scar when bending over and apron of skin presses against this area. I am 46 and my skin is not as forgiving as it used to be!

Excess skin of the abdomen can only be treated by surgical excision.

+1

Symptomatic excess skin of the abdomen can only be treated by surgical excision. This is traditionally referred to as an abdominoplasty or panniculectomy.

+1

Although a TT will relieve the overhanging skin that drapes over the c-section scar, I would not be able to predict that that would be likely to change the discomfort you are experiencing. 

Although the scar in the skin and subcutaneous tissues will be removed, the scar in the abdominal wall will not be. And, new scar will form.

All the best. 

Sagging tissues and cesarian scar after children

+1

Generally it is hard to assure that any contouring procedure such as a tummy tuck will alleviate pain of any kind.  There may be sensory nerve involvement with the scar, and that may not be addressed with the tummy tuck.  Having said that, it is likely that it would be your best chance at gaining relief from the pain.  Additionally, the removal of the loose skin and fat together with tightening the abdomen will improve the appearance of the torso and alleviate the hanging apron.  Many times this kind of improvement in appearance removes the psychological focus on the area, and that component of pain resolves just because of this.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Tummy Tuck for Abdominal Apron

+1

The only way to improve your abdominal problem is a tummy tuck. The overhanging tissues must be removed as well as the painful scar. This is the definitive answer to the abdominal skin apron concern.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tummy Tuck

+1

It is difficult to tell without personally evaluating you, but people who have especially slack skin in their midsection and abdominal muscle weakness need more than what diet and exercise alone can offer. Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position.

A mini-tummy tuck is especially effective for people who look pretty good from the navel up. The main difference between the 2 procedures is that the mini-tummy tuck doesn't require moving or reconstructing the navel and the incision is shorter than the one made in a full tummy tuck.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Tummy Tuck Operation for Pain Caused by Skin Hanging over C section Scar?

+1

Thank you for the question. Yes, the tummy tuck operation is the best way to alleviate the issues that you describe. The overhanging skin is quite commonly seen above C-section scars. Patients who undergo tummy tuck operations are often very pleased with the improved contour  of the lower  abdominal wall/pubic area. Of course, it is always difficult to predict whether the operation will necessarily eliminate the discomfort associated with previous scarring.

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation.  Ask to see lots of examples of their work.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

+1

The tummy tuck is the best way to address the loose skin that is hanging over.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA