Stretch Marks and Swelling After Tummy Tuck

I had a Tummy Tuck and I still have some stretch marks. My stomach looks way better, but I'm concerned that when the swelling goes down, I'll back to square one. Will the stretch marks eventually fade, and will results remain good once swelling goes down?

Your tummy tuck should give you a long-lasting big improvement

+2

Nina:

We plastic surgeons perform tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) for a variety of reasons. The operation is most effective at improving laxity of the lower abdomen that can involve the skin, fat, and fibrous / muscular support layers.

When stretch marks are present in the lower abdominal skin (the skin which will be removed) patients get complete removal of their stretch marks. Stretch marks in other areas remain, but most patients feel they look much better. By the way, for the first few weeks your stretch marks may be more swollen, but should go back to their earlier appearance.

Since you look way better now, I think you will look even better after the normal healing period.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Time will help but...

+1

Basically the only way to get rid of stretch marks is to remove the skin. So I'm sure you'll be happy with your result. But the not all of the stretch marks can be removed without risk to wound healing. And in addition there's really nothing else you can do to help the appearance of the marks. But time should allow them to fade.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks above the belly button unfortunately cannot be removed.

+1

Hi, Nina,

Most people are very happy after a tummy tuck, even though some stretch marks are left.  The stretch marks should be lower and less obvious.  What matters is that, as you say, you are a lot better.  I am sure the result will hold up.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Stretch marks and tummy tucks

+1

Stretch marks that were initially above your belly button will not be removed with a tummy tuck.  However, those below the belly button are now gone for good.  You should anticipate some swelling for 3-6 months, during which time your remaining stretch marks should become less prominent.  Good luck!

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Not square one

+1

The tummy tuck removes excess skin and fat, tightens the skin and muscle layers. If your stretch marks are red presently, they will fade. The tighter skin will make them look better, plus you should have less of them.

Remember that it will take a long time for the final results to be manifest, and your results will improve over that time.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

If your stomach looks way better now, you should not lose any ground

+1

Hello

Tummy tucks can not remove all stretch marks, as many occur beyond the area that is removed with surgery. Swelling s common for up to two months after surgery, but there is no reason to think that you will be back to square one after the swelling goes down. If anything, you should look better as stretchmarks look their worst when they are swollen.

Follow your doctor's instructions on when you can increase your activity and enjoy the results!

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Be patient...

+1

The stretch marks you have will still be there, but they will be less noticeable as the swelling goes down.  If you're happy now -- you'll love it later!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks look worse when swollen

+1

Many patients have so many stretch marks that a tummy tuck alone can not get rid of all of them. However, for most patients the procedure tends to leave any remaining scars low on the abdomen.

Especially in the early post-operative period, the swelling makes the stretch marks look much worse then in the final result.

Relax and enjoy.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Concerned about tummy tuck results.

+1

Try not to anticipate the results of your surgery. The important thing is that you are happy with the initial outcome. No one can predict exactly how your belly will look. However, you did have a tummy tuck so I don't understand how you can ever be back to square one. You had alot of skin removed and likely had the muscle tightened - it is very unlikely that you would be back at square one.

Give it some more time and improve the quality of the results by taking on an exercise program to improve your abdominal muscle tone.