Still Swelling After Tummy Tuck Seroma Was Drained

I had a Tummy Tuck 4 weeks ago. I am puffy around my waist. I was told I had a seroma and they drained it, but I'm still very puffy. When will I get better?

This could be generalized swelling or another seroma

+2

It is possible that your seroma has recurred and often without drain placement at the time of seroma aspiration, you can have a recurrence. Your plastic surgeon may be able to detect this clinically in the office. Another method of seroma detection is by ultrasound and this may aid in either aspiration or in drain placement. You may simply have swelling which is post surgical and normal. This may take a few months to go away. You should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon regularly for this.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Puffiness after tummy tuck

+1

Generalized swelling is normal one month after a tummy tuck.  This usually improves over a 4-6 month period.

You may need further drainage.

+1

If  they just aspirated the seroma, it may need to be aspirated again.  Sometimes after developing a seroma, you can develop more puffiness that simply takes longer to go away.  You should return to your plastic surgeon for his or her evaluation.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon