How Long Until Swelling and Seroma from Tummy Tuck Go Away?

Hi,

I had a tummy tuck just over 4 weeks ago. I went back about 10 days later; they said I had a seroma, and they used 4 large syringes to drain it. The colour was really red and thick. I was told to come back a week later.

I was still swollen, but he said it was OK now. Another week has passed and my stomach is still the same. I've not to go back till June 8th. My waist is wider now than before I got this all done. How long will it take for the swelling to go away?

Thank You, E Hannah

Swelling after tummy tuck

+2

After tummy tuck there are multiple reasons why you could be swollen, including the usual post-operative swelling that occurs (you could not heal without it) and seromas. There are other reasons as well. Your doctor drained a seroma and finds that there is no further seroma.

Even though you no longer have a seroma, you do still have the normal, expected post-operative swelling. This is separate from the seroma. This will take at least 3 months to settle down, and in some cases, will take longer. It is rather typical that your waist will be larger now than it was pre-op.

Usually this will subside. Be patient, wear a garment if your doctor advises this. Call your surgeon for an earlier appointment if you are concerned. It will take a few minutes and put your mind at rest.

Hope this helps.

Swelling after tummy tuck may take months.

+1

Swelling after any tummy tuck can take close to two months to decrease and even longer.  Seromas may delay this even further. Continue your aspirations. Also be aware that the areas effected by the seroma may become very hard before they eventually become soft.