Are the Deeper Sutures Always Removed After Tummy Tuck?

I had a complete Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) on May 1, 2009, and I am healing fairly well. However, the deeper sutures that have the ends protruding at each end of the incision, with a loop and knot in place, were cut just below the knot by the surgeon at about 2 and half weeks post-op; the suture itself was not removed. I am now having some local irritation and swelling at the left end of the incision, and I can actually see a small loop of what resembles "fishing line" protruding up through the skin. Following abdominoplasty are the deeper sutures always removed?

Sutures in Tummy Tuck

+2

It really depends and there is no standard.  You really should see your plastic surgeon and have him or her that a look at it.

Every surgeon using different sutures and difficult to say what exactly is going on.

Good luck.

Sutures in an abdominoplasty

+2

Different types of sutures are use to close the wounds. In this specific  case it sounds like the surgeon used absorb able suture. If it is giving you a problem you need to have it checked by the surgeon. The one you are describing is probable a suture in the dermis of the skin.     

Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+2

It depends on what type of sutures are used.  Absorbable sutures will dissolve over time and do not generally need to be removed.  However, occasionally an absorbable suture may come through the skin and need to be removed.  You should return to your plastic surgeon for evaluation.