Will Tummy Tuck Lower my Old Surgery Scar?

I had a child 8 yrs ago and my stomach looks disgusting. Not only do I have a ton of stretch marks, I have a scar from a previous surgery to the right of my stomach, right above my belly button. I have consulted with 2 plastic surgeons and both said that after the Tummy Tuck, the scar will be lowered to an area where my underwear would hide it. I just want to be sure that they are right before I spend so much money and go through the pain and discomfort.

Tummy tuck with preexisting scars

+2

In your case, it is likely that your old scar could be moved much lower, perhaps even eliminated.

It is always important to look at old scars when doing a tummy tuck. In some cases, old scars make the surgery dangerous, because blood supply does not travel through scars well.

All tummy tucks are modified for the patient's anatomy and special circumstances, and your case is no exception.

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and removing or replacing existing abdominal scars

+1

Without a doubt the scar could be removed. However, another scar will replace it. In the best of all possible circumstances the scar can be placed low on the abdomen where it can be hidden by undergarments or bathing suits. It is also possible that the scar will lie at a higher position and be visible above bathing suits or underwear.

Only the examining physician can gie you the best idea of where the final scar will lay.

Tummy Tuck

+1

Yes, they are correct. The scar will be lowered. However, without examining you I can't be sure how far it can be lowered. You should see photos of former patients treated by those physicians.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

That's a great scar for a tummy tuck!

+1

There are many ways to perform a tummy tuck. Most of the time, we start with the lower incision and then work our way up to the ribcage, and then judge how much skin excess exists before performing the excision. This guarantees a low scar position, but might give an inverted "T" scar in the mid-line if the skin stretch was not enough to get out the old belly button. (First, do not let anyone use this standard operation on you - if they overestimate how much skin they can get out, and end up leaving that scar on your abdomen, some intervening skin may die.)

A great technique for you is to use the existing scar as the upper line, and start the operation with the upper incision first. Undermining will be performed up to your ribcage, and then the skin stretched down. This way, the surgeon can safely judge how elastic your skin is before making the lower incision. The nice thing with your pictures is that all of the skin above you incision has no stretch marks! You will move this skin down well below your belly button, and might end up with a great abdomen. Go visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who understands what I'm talking about (not many surgeons do tummy tucks this way, but the concept is easy and it is simple to perform).

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+1

While tummy tuck will definitely lower the scar you already have, it is not possible to determine from a photograph exactly how low it will ultimately end up.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD