Tummy tuck, surgeon advised a mini tummy tuck with muscle tightening?

I am 45 years old with 7 beautiful children. I am 170 cm tall with a classic build ( broad shoulders , small waist and a fuller round bottom} I weigh 61 kg . I am fit. However I always need to wear firm underwear or tight pantihose to act like a girdle, with out this my muscles sag, and I like to have a flat looking waist. I had normal deliveries and do not have too much excess fat, no stretch marks. Is a mini tummy tuck an option?

Tummy tuck

+1
The amount of excess skin typically determines the length of the incision required to remove that excess skin. As a general rule, a short incision only allows a small amount of skin removal. A longer incision and resulting scar (as in a full tummy tuck) will allow the surgeon to remove more skin and tighten the entire abdominal wall.  This is the important thing to consider when looking at this type of surgery. Don't compromise the results with a shorter scar if it won't deliver the results you want. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in tummy tucks and body contouring should be able to show you what you can expect. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1

without photos it is hard to advise, but based on your description and having 7 children you are most likely a candidate for a full tummy tuck.

My advice is to meet with a local plastic surgeon who specializes in the tummy tuck procedure.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

+1

Despite your good description of history and physical examination, good advice would necessitate in person consultation and/or viewing pictures.

Generally speaking, most patients with your history, benefit from full tummy tuck surgery. In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck surgery present for revisionary surgery.

+1

An exam would be necessary to make any real recommendations.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Mini-tummy tuck

+1

Mini tummy tuck description can be misleading. What it typical refers to is the amount of skin being removed. The more excess skin that needs to be removed the less likely it is an option. Typically, the 'muscle' is tightened as in a standard tummy tuck. Liposuction may also be used with this procedure for further contouring. Do not focus on the procedure or its name, rather, the result.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy tuck ?

+1

From your description you are slender, without too much excess skin and fat. Muscle separation (Diastasis) appears to be your main issue.

If so: You may be well served with a Diastasis repair (bringing your belly muscles together ) and minor skin excision.

"Mini"abdominoplasty does not necessarlly mean "mini" surgery, just less skin is removed and the belly button usually not moved out of its place.

If this is what your Plastic Surgeon recommends it should be a great operation for you!

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Candidates for Mini Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

Without an exam, it is impossible to tell you what would be your best option. Most women after multiple pregnancies need a full abdominoplasty in order to get the best contour. I would advise setting up a few consultations with board certified plastic surgeons.

Hayley Brown, MD