Tummy Tuck Despite Kidney Problems and Previous Heart Surgery?

I had an aortic valve replacement 5 years ago. I also have kidney problems due to SLE (Systemic lupus erythematosus). I have terrible stretch marks due to past fluid retention and a combination of Predisilone medication. Would it be possible for me to have a Tummy Tuck? I am really desperate to remove these disgusting marks.

Tummy Tuck and Medical Problems?

+1

Yes, tummy tuck procedures can be done safely for patients with a variety of different “medical conditions”. Careful evaluation and treatment of the medical condition is necessary prior to determining the appropriate candidates for the tummy tuck procedure.  In your case this would be best done by a cardiologist  and rheumatologist.  These physicians know your situation best and would be best suited  to discuss your suitability for the procedure and the potentially increased risks/ complications that you should consider.

Also, please make sure you are seeking consultation with  well experienced board-certified  plastic surgeons who preferably work with board-certified anesthesiologists.

Tummy Tuck with Lupus, Kidney and Heart Disease

+1

Dear Eyan,

It sounds like you have been through a LOT.

In my opion, you will be taking a huge risk if you were to undergo an abdominoplasty.

SLE or lupus patients do notoriously poorly with such operations. An abdominoplasty generates a long wound and large raw surfaces that need to heal properly. The Lupus process, depending on your form and how active it is at the moment impedes wound healing. Being on a "combination of Predisilone medication" will further greatly suppress proper wound healing and may invite infection. Finally, depending on your aortic valve surgery, if you are on a blood thinner, that would have to be stopped for the surgery and a few days after, leaving your valve open to clotting and serious heart complications.

In a situation such as yours, I would urge you not to risk your life having this operation.

Truly sorry.

It depends.

+1

Aortic valve replacement and kidney disease do not automatically prevent you from having a tummy tuck. You need to discuss this thoroughly with your medical doctors. The problem with an artificial valve is anticoagulation. There will be a risk if you go off this for your abdominoplasty. With your kidney, it depends upon how well it is actually functioning. You certainly will be at a higher risk. Discuss this with your medical doctors and take their advice.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon