Will I Have to Get a Tummy Tuck to Get my Strectched Navel Piercing Removed? (photo)

Will I Have to Get a Tummy Tuck to Get my Strectched Navel Piercing Removed?

Do I need a tummy tuck?

+2

Dear swilliams,

You appear to have an umbilical hernia as well as loose skin and a lax abdominal wall. A tummy tuck would help all those things very nicely. An umbilicoplasty can help with the appearance of your umbilicus and many times the hernia can be fixed at the same time. Discuss your options with your surgeon and decide what's most important to you. Good luck

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Stretched belly button and tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and the photograph. If your main concern is your belly button and small hernia there, this can be fixed by itself.

I agree with others comments that you have some diastasis recti as well.  A tummy tuck would address your entire abdomen and the belly button (umbilical) hernia can be fixed at the same time.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Belly button can be fixed by itself

+1

You can get your belly button fixed by itself.  It does not appear that you are a candidate for a full tummy tuck, therefore repairing the belly button by itself will be the best option.  Your photo seems to show either a belly button hernia or a belly button "outie".  The technique would involve a circular incision at the base of your belly  button so that it will not be seen.  The belly button hernia is repaired and or "outie" is turned into an "innie" and the surrounding skin is pulled deep into the belly  button.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

You will get the result with tummy tuck

+1

You have umbilical hernia and rectus muscle diastesis. You will get better results with tummy tuck and liposuction.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia after pregnancy

+1

Looks to me you have developed an umbilical hernia, probably after a pregnancy. You will not need a tummy tuck, though you would benefit from having the hernia repaired and things would look much better.

peterejohnsonmd.com

+1

A tummy tuck tightens loose skin, moving it down so that the overhanging skin can be removed through an incision low on the tummy. The musces are also tightened at that time if indicated.  It looks like you have an umbilical hernia, a stretched out belly button, and the loose stretched out skin and piercing scar above the belly button.  With a tummy tuck, all of this would be pulled down. However, it does not look like you have enough loose skin above the belly button for all of this to be removed. Your hernia would be fixed at the time of the tummy tuck, the smaller belly button would be brought through the nicer skin that is pulled downward over the belly button, and the old belly button hole and piercing scar above it would be removed and closed with a vertical scar that is now moved down into the lower tummy.  A thorough consultation and examination with a plastic surgeon will give you a better idea of what you can expect and where the resulting scars would be.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Umbilical reconstruction after piercing

+1
To remove the piercing and reconstruct the umbilicus, a tummy tuck would not be required. This is a more limited procedure. That said, the photo demonstrates an abdominal bulge which could be addressed with a tummy tuck if desired.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy Tuck For Umbilical Reconstruction?

+1

A tummy tuck is not “necessary” to have the stretched piercing removed.  a procedure localized to the umbilicus may meet your needs/goals. A tummy tuck will address other issues such as excess skin/ adipose tissue of the abdominal wall as well as abdominal wall laxity that may be present after weight gain/loss or pregnancies.

Although difficult to determine accurately based on your picture it would also be necessary to rule out ( or treat) umbilical hernia.

I would suggest in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

I hope this helps

Stretched belly button

+1

A tummy tuck would do a lot more than just address your belly button. It looks like you might have a hernia, an umbilical hernia. This is making the bottom of your belly button protrude. is the bottom soft and can you push it in, and then it pops out? If so, you will need to get the hernia fixed at the same time or nothing will work. Some plastic surgeons will fix hernias others do not. Most general surgeons fix hernias but may not do such a great job of making things look better. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Piercing

+1

It is possible in many cases to directly correct a problem with the belly button without a tummy tuck. A tummy tuck would also address some of the other issues of your stomach.

Michael Hueneke, MD