Will a Tummy Tuck Help Stop Recurrent Ventral Hernias?

I have had three symptomatic ventral hernia repairs in the past year. Two months ago, I had mesh put back in with the last repair. I now have another ventral hernia. Would a tummy tuck help and with having a lot of mesh in my abdomen, would that interfere with having a tummy tuck?

Repeat hernia repair and abdominoplasty

+2

It seems that you should find a good solution for the hernia as there is a high chance of hernias coming back, even with a mesh repair. One good option is a hernia repair using a component separation technique, also known as a separation of parts technique, where your own abdominal muscles are used to take tension off the hernia repair. Medical studies have shown that this technique, along with a sheet of mesh if needed, has the best long-term success rate.

Furthermore, this technique was developed and refined by plastic surgeons. So if you seek out a Board Certified plastic surgeon that does this type of hernia repair, you can get both an abdominoplasty and hernia repair at the same time.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Will a tummy tuck stop recurrent ventral hernias?

+2

No.  The underlying problem is the hernia in muscle tissue that is of a poor quality, or there are underlying intrinsic or extrinsic factors that are not addressed. ( infection, tension due to obesity, poor wound healing, lack of blood supply, or other illness).  A general surgeon should be consulted.  The tummy tuck and the secondary mesh repair can be achieved at the same surgery.

What do you weigh?

+2

You have not told us why you get these recurrent hernias -- what is your height and weight and BMI. A tummy tuck will not cure your problem, we need to figure out why you are having these problems.

Web reference: http://www.wrmd.com

Repair re-recurrent complicated Ventral Hernia without Mesh

+2

Regarding: "Will a Tummy Tuck Help Stop Recurrent Ventral Hernias?
I have had three symptomatic ventral hernia repairs in the past year. Two months ago, I had mesh put back in with the last repair. I now have another ventral hernia. Would a tummy tuck help and with having a lot of mesh in my abdomen, would that interfere with having a tummy tuck
?"

Before declaring a "solution", we first must understand the problem. Obviously, with 3 FAILED ventral hernia repairs in 1 year, the last of which was with a mesh (?type), the last thing you need is a big operation that will fail as well.

For a ventral hernia repair to HEAL, all risk factors must be eliminated or greatly reduced.
- if you are obese - you must lose weight
- if you smoke or are exposed to smoke - that must stop
- if you are malnourished - your protein nutrition must be improved (No healing will take place in the presence of malnutrition)
- if you have other disorders - they must be corrected (such as Diabetes which must be controlled, or Lupus and other autoimmune diseases which must be stabilized).

Assuming you had good surgeons, at this point, much of the strength layer of the tummy, the rectus fascia, has been weakened by the operations and a new technique of repair is called for. You need to consult a very good hernia surgeon and ask him about a RAMIREZ COMPONENT SEPARATION TECHNIQUE. In this operation, the muscles of the anterior tummy wall are separated allowing closure of the midline under much reduced tension using the six pack muscles.

Although this could be done through a tummy tuck incision and although it could be done WITH a tummy tuck, the procedure is a reconstructive procedure of the abdominal wall and NOT a cosmetic operation.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Tummy tuck and ventral hernia repair

+1

Thanks for the question and sorry to hear about your medical condition.

While a tummy tuck may be performed in conjunction with a ventral hernia repair, it will not in any way diminish the chance of a ventral hernia recurrence. The two surgeries are entirely distinct with entirely different goals in mind and issues at hand. I recommend consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your region to discuss your problem and surgical options.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

A tummy tuck is not a substitue for a hernia repair

+1

A true tummy tuck will not help stop recurrent ventral hernias. IF they did, they would be used as the repair of choice. A ventral hernia is a relatively common problem that needs a more agressive treatment than a tradiitional tummy tuck and is commonly performed by using  separation of the abdominal components or foreign material to reinforce the repair.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Recurrent hernias require specialists

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties with your recurrent hernias.

When I repair recurrent hernias, I typically avoid synthetic mesh and prefer a procedure known as a "component separation" and use biologic materials to reinforce the repair.

An abdominoplasty can be combined with an abdominal wall reconstruction if you have excess skin, but an abdominoplasty by itself will not prevent your hernia from coming back.

I would recommend you see a plastic surgeon who specializes in abdominal wall reconstruction and bring up your concerns. Good luck.

Tummy tuck with repair of ventral hernias

+1

Incidental hernias are seen during tummy tuck, and ventral and umbilical hernias are often repaired as part of the planned tummy tuck procedure. Ventral hernias are well exposed during the tummy tuck and this can facilitate a sound repair, either with the tissue or an artificial mesh if needed. Hernia recurrence is determined by the strength of the tissue called fascia in the abdominal wall, and the type of repair, not the skin of the abdomen tailored in the tummy tuck. Though the combination of hernia repair and tummy tuck is common, the tummy tuck will not reduce the hernia recurrence rate.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

+1

Easy answer is it is unpredictable. So yes a TT might help but the odds are not great you won't get a recurrent ventral hernia. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Tummy tuck

+1

Recurrent hernias may be from either loose abdominal fascia (diastasis) or actual hernias.  A tummy tuck will not repair them by itself.  There are a lot of "if's".  Perhaps your plastic surgeon should do this in conjunction with a general surgeon.