Tummy Tuck with a Sprained Ankle, Do I Need to Postpone Surgery?

I have a full tummy tuck scheduled for the day after tomorrow and I was trying to mow the lawn and I fell and sprained my ankle. Will the doctor still do the surgery? I am concerned he wont because I am supposed to walk around starting the afternoon of the surgery to prevent blood clots and as of right now I am keeping my foot elevated because its swollen pretty bad. Will I still be able to have my surgery?

Plastic surgery after ankle sprain

+1

There are various degrees of ankle sprain from very minor that would be of no consequence to severe.  However, if you have ecchymosis, discoloration and unable to walk, this would interfere with your post-operative recovery.  You need to get out of bed and walk after surgery.  I would postpone the surgery if you are having problems ambulating.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

You should notify your surgeon immediately. If you have a bad sprain, it might be a good idea to have the surgery pushed back a few days.  Also, consider the possibility that you may have a fracture which can only be diagnosed with an X-ray. But, fer crying' out loud, call your surgeon!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy Tuck after an ankle injury

+1

The sprained ankle with definitely interfere with a smooth recovery from your abdominoplasty.  It makes it more diificult to get around, gives you pain both in the ankle and in the abdomen, and may predispose you to venous thrombosis(blood clots in the leg veins) or pulmonary embolus( a clot that travels to the lung).  Although you might go through the recovery without having these complications, why take a chance on the surgery you want to go well?

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Tummy Tuck with a Sprained Ankle

+1

You need to be able to walk around after the surgery. It's still OK to keep your ankle elevated when you are resting. Call your doctor for the final answer but consider getting a soft ankle splint for more comfortable walking.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck after sprained ankle

+1
If you are unable to walk comfortably, are on NSAIDs for the ankle sprain and will not be able to wear a surgical compression stocking during the procedure, it will need to be postponed until the ankle has improved. You should contact your plastic surgeon as soon as possible to discuss the situation. Personally, I would not operate on someone if they have another medical condition that could interfere with surgery, create an increased anesthesia risk or pose problems during the healing.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Postpone surgery

+1
If you are unable to ambulate regularly after TT, you should postpone until you are more mobile. Why take additional risk of deep venous thrombosis for an elective procedure. Your surgeon should agree.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon