If I get a tummy tuck or any sort of skin removal procedure, will I be able to see my abs?

I lost over 225 lbs in less than 1 year. i never had a gastric bypass or anything, just cardio and eating healthy. I developed a passion for lifting and now its a big part of my life. I would love to see abdominals on my body, but dont know what my body fat even is or if its even possible.

Weight loss and tummy tuck

+2
Congratulations in your weight loss. A tummy tuck will remove excess skin and fat and your abdominal contour will be greatly improve. It is hard to say without a formal examination if you will have increased definition of you abs after the procedure. Make sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck to you 

Johnson City Plastic Surgeon

+2
    As a bodybuilder, I can understand the dedication to the gym.  If your body fat is low enough you will be able to see your abs.  I performed a tummy tuck last week on a gentleman with very similar goals.

Abs after tummy tuck

+2
It is possible to see your abs after tummy tuck if your abs are very well developed and your body fat is significantly decreased. So it is the thickness of your abdominal fat that hides or reveals the underlying muscles.

So, you will need an evaluation by a plastic surgeon to discuss the possibilities. Of course you have learned the power of diet and exercise, so there is much that you can do on your own.

John Sampson, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

No guarantees but possible

+2
Congratulations on the weight loss and more importantly changing to a healthy lifestyle!  I have had many patients like you in my practice who were very happy to see their abs after a tummy procedure.  It really is quite remarkable!

I would need to see you in person to give you advice on reasonable expectations for your outcome.

Joseph W. Aguiar, MD

Can you see your tabs after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your question and photo.congratulations on your weight loss that is wonderful.  There is always some fat beneath the skin that is left behind after tummy tuck or liposuction.  This is necessary to keep the skin gliding over the muscles.  It is impossible to know ahead of time whether you will see her abdominal muscles after a tummy tuck.  The visibility of the abdominal muscles is dependent upon the bulk and size of the individual muscle bellies.  If you've pull your current loose skin tight  and tighten her abdominal muscles do you see them are the cut?  If so that he likely will see them after a tummy tuck.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS