Would a Tummy Tuck Be Appropriate Solution? (photo)

I've had 2 kids. The most recent 3 months ago. I kept in my belly button ring during my first pregnancy. The ring got severely infected when I was 25 weeks pregnant and stuck inside my skin and i had to have it removed urgently. It healed with a scar underneath my skin and now I am severely unhappy with my belly button. What can be done about this? A tummy tuck? I am in excellent physical shape. I run a minimum of 30 miles a week and stay very active.

Be cautiousaabout surgery to improve belly button.

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. Congratulations for being in such fabulous shape after having children.

I understand your frustration with the appearance of your belly button, however an umbilicoplasty may give you scarring that will make your abdomen and belly button look worse.

I think your tummy looks fabulous and the small amount of excess skin detracts very little from your appearance i my opinion.

A scar excision with careful removal of a small amount of the hooding skin done by an expert plastic surgeon may be possible but you need to choose your surgeon wisely

Consult plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in umbilicoplasty, and who have a good reputation in your community. Insist on seeing photographs of previous belly button procedures the surgeon has performed himself.

If the only issue was loose skin and not the scar from your piercing I would suggest considering nonsurgical skin tightening with Lux IR Deep, Thermage or Titan,but those modalities will not help the scar.

If the muscle split does not bother you, leave it alone.

Tummy tuck corrects muscle alignment, tightens the belly button.

+1

Yes, you are clearly in excellent physical condition.  Your rectus muscles have separated giving a wide appearance to your belly button.  You also have stretch marks on your lower abdomen.  I would recommend a tummy tuck to correct the muscle alignment, make your belly button tighter and more attractive, and remove the stretch marks.  The incision needs to be kept down low, within your bikini line.  How do you feel about losing some of those tattooed stars?  I've attached a link in case you wish to read more.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

You are in great shape after your pregnancies.  Congratulations.  In your case, I would need to examine you to see how loose the skin in the photos really are.  If there is a lot of loose skin, a tummy tuck might help but you may not have enough to safely perform the operation.  With regards to your belly button, a scar revision might help.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Tummy Tuck or Umbilicoplasty

+1

You will need an exam to determine what is best for you.  An umbilicoplasty will not be able to remove enough skin without causing significant distortion and a visible scar.  A tummy tuck may not suffice due to possible lack of overall skin laxity.  However, your belly button is not particularly high, which works in your favor from a technical point of view.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Would a Tummy Tuck Be Appropriate Solution?

+1

It is necessary to wait at list 9 month after you stop the breast  feeding, or after delivering, you have time enough for dietary and exercise, them you can think i Tummy Tuck.  

Spanish translation provided by doctor: 

Es necesario esperar 9 meses despues de amamantar o de dar a luz, tiene tiempo suficiente para iniciar una dieta y ejercicios fisicos, despues de esto, puede pensar en una abdominoplastia.

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck, is it the only solution to address belly button deformity ?

+1

It is not appropriate to consider tummy tuck, only three months after giving birth. It takes at least 9-12 months for skin to retract and return to the pre- pregnancy weight. You do not have enough excess skin to undergo a full abdominoplasty at this time. Another option is to reshape your belly button by making an incision around your belly botton and reduce the scar without doing tummy tuck. 

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

In the aesthetic problem created by excess skin requires the removal of that skin for best results.

+1

The picture shows loose skin around the umbilicus. This apparently is part of the aesthetic issue related to the infected navel ring. After two pregnancies the loose skin over the abdominal wall would be best eliminated by an abdominoplasty. A new neighbor would be fashion that should look considerably better than any localized procedure.

Candidate for tummy tuck

+1

Based on your picture, it is doesn't look like you have a lot of excess skin below your belly button.  It looks like most of your loose skin is congregated around your belly button.  There are a few techniques that can be used to tighten this skin without undergoing a full tummy tuck.  The scars would be located around your belly button.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Full tummy tuck would be best option for belly button rejuvenation

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  The best option to rejuvenate the appearance of your belly button would be a full tummy tuck.  With a full tummy tuck your skin from the pubic bone to just above your belly button is removed.  In doing so the excess laxity and stretch marks below your belly button are removed, the abdominal wall is tightened, and the belly button is rejuvenated.  A direct incision umbilicoplasty can also be performed but this will not correct the belly button shape as much as a full tummy tuck can.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Unhappy with periumbilcal area

+1

Thank you for the question and photos!  I hope that these answers will help in your decision!

Surgical excision is the only method that will remove the excess skin/soft tissue of the lower abdomen.  Looking at your photos, I do believe that a tummy tick is a reasonable option to ameliorate your concerns.  Without examining you, your photos demonstrate that you have some degree of laxity in the periumbilical (area around your belly button) region.  This could certainly be removed by excision of the tissue, such as that removed in a tummy tuck and give you a tighter, flatter, and sculpted appearance of the areas of your concern.  

I would recommend performing this procedure, if you so decide, after child bearing has completed for you.  Also, continue with your healthy and active lifestyle as this will help to maintain the benefits afforded to you by this surgical procedure.  Good luck with your decision!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD