Do You Consider a Tummy Tuck at 61 to Be a Waste of Time?

I've wanted one for a long time but could never afford it. But now that I can afford it, it seems silly of me to want one. Is it common for people in their sixties to get a tummy tuck?

Tummy tuck after 60.

+3

Hi!

A tummy tuck at 61 is absolutely not a waste of time.  If you are in good health, you should do it.  In our Manhattan practice, about 20% of abdominoplasty patients are over 60.

Don't worry about other people

+3

You should look only at yourself and not worry about other people whomever they are. Look at your anatomy and physiological age, health and goals of surgeon. Age is less of a factor. Only you can determine if it is a waste of time and money or a reasonable goal with significant physical and emotional benefit.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Tummy tuck

+3

61 years of age is in no way too old for this procedure.  If your health is otherwise good, you should consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeon on your area.  Go to www.plasticsurgery.org.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

Tummy Tuck after 61

+2

Doing a tummy tuck at 61 is absolutely not a waste of time. The surgery is designed to correct excess skin and fat and abdomenal laxity regardless of age. You must, however, be in good health, and I always recommend a full medical clearance prior to surgery.

Carolyn C. Chang, MD

+1

Thank you for the question. Your age is absolutely not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery; assuming you are in good health and a good candidate for the procedure you may have an excellent outcome with the procedure. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck

+1

A tummy tuck at any age given that you are healthy enough for the surgery is not a waste of time. Some of my patients want to "look like they feel." So if you are interested, seek a consultation. Make sure your doctor does all appropriate testing to make sure you are in good health though.

Sean Wright, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tucks after 60 years of age

+1

If you have the proper anatomy to benefit from a tummy tuck and are in excellent health and physical condition a tummy tuck can be safely performed.  The move active you are and the more positive your personality, the easier the recovery will be for you. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS