Can I Have a Tummy Tuck with Sinus Allergies?

I have a tummy tuck schedule for March 23rd. I have a hemoglobin level of 11.3 and recovered from H. pyroli bacteria. I also have a heart murmur, nd now I have seasonal allergies. Can I still get this procedure done. My plastic surgeon said no problem and gave me a shot of Vitamin B 12 to boost my energy level. I am concern tho about flem building up in my lungs during the procedure.

Tummy tuck and allergies

+2

In general, the presence of seasonal allergies is not a contraindication to a procedure that requires general anesthesia.  You could certainly ask your surgeon or primary care physician to recommend antihistamines, decongestants, and/or other allergy medications in order to improve your symptoms.  The real concern  would be if you had a fever of greater than 101.3, signifying a true infection/sinusitis.  In that case, you might consider seeing your surgeon or primary care physician and possibly delaying the surgery. 

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Seasonal allergies are not a contraindication for a tummy tuck

+1

True seasonal allergies should not prevent you from having a tummy tuck. However, if you do experience a sinusitis with a significant temperature, then surgery should be delayed.

You noted on your labs a hemaglobin of 11.3 which is relatively low. You may want to discuss with your plastic surgeon taking some MVI and iron supplements at some point in time as this level will even go lower following your surgery.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Seasonal allergies will not affect tummy tuck

+1

You should not have any problems with seasonal allergies and a tummy tuck procedure. I though that the B12 shots went out in the 1960's. A healthy diet alone and exercise is all your energy level should require.

peterejohnsonmd

Seasonal Allergies & Tummy Tucks

+1

Having a history of seasonal allergies should not interfere with undergoing a tummy tuck, especially if your symptoms are primarily nasal.  If your symptoms include wheezing or other pulmonary type symptoms, then you might consider consulting an allergist for his/her opinion.  He/she could also place you on medications which would be beneficial at all times, including the perioperative period.

John Whitt, MD