Pregnancy Stretch Marks

When I was 8 months along in my pregnancy, I got PUPPP which created very severe stretch marks. I have these stretch marks little over a inch above my belly button, all over my lower tummy, and a little on my hips. I am 22 yrs old, 5'4", 148 lbs, and in the process of losing 38 lbs. I have one child but not planning on having any more. Will it get rid of the stretch marks? I have a C-section scar from geting an ovarian cyst removed when I was 16. Will the incision start from this scar?

Pregnancy Stretch Marks can be Removed with Tummy Tuck and or 1540 Laser

+3

If your Stretch Marks are only in the lower abdomen or you have enough loose skin for a Full Tummy Tuck then most of the Pregnancy Stretch Marks can be removed by a Tummy Tuck.

However even aft behind.er a Tummy Tuck higher Stretch Marks can be left behind.

WE have had good luck especially with pink or red stretch marks by treating them non surgically with the 1540 Non ablative Erbium laser.

Stretch Marks Removed with Tummy Tuck

+3

You appear to be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.

A tummy tuck will most likely remove all the stratch marks between your belly button and your pubic hair, but the stretch marks above the belly button will likely remain.

The C-section scar will most likely be cut out with the extra skin.

Be sure your weight is within 10 pounds of your goal before setting your surgery date.

You should see a tremendous improvement!

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Stretch mark removal with tummy tuck

+2

most tummy tucks remove a considerable amount of lower abdominal skin. considering that this is where most of the stretch marks reside, then you can say that most of the stretch marks get removed with a tummy tuck.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and stretch marks

+2

As has been stated by many here, a tummy tuck should eliminate the majority of your stretch marks. Basically, those marks that are above the belly button would get moved to the lower abdomen above your final scar, and those that were below the belly button would be removed. Some patients have stretch marks that extend so high above the belly button that they will basically get transferred from the upper abdomen to replace the ones in the lower abdomen that come out with the tummy tuck excision. In your case, it looks like you might be able to get rid of the overwhelming majority of your stretch marks.

Combining tummy tuck with liposuction of the flank/waist area is a good combination approach that can really reshape the abdomen to a more aesthetic, youthful appearance. Many "Mommy Makeovers" also include breast lifting/augmentation.

If you are still losing weight to target a pre-pregnancy baseline, try to do that in a supervised way with your doctor's approval before you have surgery, to optimize the amount of tissue that can be removed.

Good luck!

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks

+2

Stretch marks below the umbliicus are usually able to be excised during a tummy tuck.  Any stretch marks higher than this will now be moved to a lower position. 

Chad Douglas Tattini, MD
Bloomington Plastic Surgeon

Will help stretch marks

+2

An abdominoplasty will remove most of your stretchmarks below your belly button and re-position the ones above the belly button to a lower position.  Also, by putting your tissue on stretch, i find that the remaining stetchmarks a little less noticeable.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Tummy tuck will help with stretch marks.

+2

You will really benefit from full tummy tuck and liposuction of flanks.  These two procedures can give you an excellent abdominal contour.  In addition, most if not all of your stretch marks will be gone.  You are lucky since most of your stretch marks are in the lower abdomen.  Depending on the laxity and excess amount of your skin, all of your stretch marks will be removed at the time of tummy tuck.  Full tummy tuck is a great option to tighten your muscle and to remove excess skin and muscle; this will give you a great abdominal contour in addition to getting rid of stretch marks.

Sugene Kim, MD

Tummy tuck removes many but not all stretch marks.

+2

Good luck on losing your weight! Once you are at your best weight, you are indeed a candidate for abdominoplasty. From your photo, it appears as if your loose skin may extend to the hips and upper thigh areas. Performing an extended abdominoplasty can help to tighten these areas too, and reduce the likelihood of dog ears from a too-short "standard" abdominoplasty incision. This involves a longer scar, which should not be a problem if it is situated properly along your bikini line.

As others have stated, the stretch marks from your belly button to the pubic area (and the old surgical scar) will be removed completely, but any stretch marks that are now above the belly button will be present in their new position just above the pubic area. Since they are stretched by the improved tone of your post-tummy tuck skin, they tend to look better, since they aren't flabby and wrinkly.

Hang in there with diet and exercise; the results (and improved surgical results) will be worth it!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks be gone

+2

It sounds like you may benefit from a tummy tuck procedure +/- liposuction of the waist.  A tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure. A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.

Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction of your waists or flanks (i.e. love handles) to fine tune your result

Patients choose abdominoplasty cosmetic surgery for a number of reasons, including:

Excess abdominal skin following weight loss; Weight gain (beer belly or spare tire) from a sedentary lifestyle; Abdominal fat that is resistant to diet and exercise; Stretched stomach muscles from pregnancy; Desire for a thinner profile; Desire to look younger and fitter; Desire to fit into clothes better

I recommend you visit with an ASPS member plastic surgeon to further explore your options and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS