Not at my Ideal Weight. Will I Be Happy w/ Results?

Tummy Tuck Scheduled at 53 Years Old... I've lost 52 pounds and wanted to lose another 15# before procedure, but even with doctor's help, I cannot get another pound off.I am 5' 2", about 165#, I exercise everyday, eat healthy and have been at this same weight for over six months. My question is: My PS did not recommend lipo or abdominal reconstruction. I have the flabby lower apron that I'm excited to get rid of, but wonder if I will be happy with the overall result? I'm not looking for perfection but a noticable improvement.

Ideal weight and tummy tuck

+4

You have a very classic and informative question.  With your history of weight loss and stable weight status, you are an acceptable candidate for a tummy tuck.  Almost every woman at your age has the same story of wanting to loose that last 10 to 20 pounds but it will not come off.  If you have no other medical problems you should be able to get a nice result.  Discuss it with your plastic surgeon and see if he or she is comfortable with this and I think you will do fine.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Body Contouring

+4

In my practice I perform LipoAbdominoplasty.  This allows me to remove the excess skin and perform significant contouring of the hips, flanks and abdomen at the same time.  In experienced hands the risks are no different than with the old standard Abdominoplasty but the results are significantly improved.  It would be nice if you could lose those excess 15 pounds but not an absolute necessity.  Good luck with the surgery. I am sure you will be very happy with the results.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Happy with tummy tuck or happy with yourself

+2

With the right goals and expectations you will be happy to lose the fold and loose skin after your tummy tuck. The key question is will you be happy with yourself? It is impossible for anyone to tell you how happy you will be if your effort at weight loss is short of your goal. With further calorie restriction, you will lose the weight, though the 'ideal' body weight must fit what you can live with and maintain. The tummy tuck will be as successful as you are.

peterejohnsonmd

Weight loss and tummy tuck

+2

It can be frustrating when a weight loss plateau occurs. Given the amount of weight you desire to loose you should still have a good result.  Ask your PS is he/she performs liposuction when performing a tummy tuck.  I almost always will perform lipo of the upper abdomen and flanks during the abdominoplasty.  This result in what I feel is superior results and much improved contour.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before a tummy tuck

+2

It is always advisable to lose all the weight you can before having your tummy tuck.  Once you plateau and can no longer lose any more weight, I see no reason to wait any longer for a weight loss that will not happen.

As long as your expectations are realistic, you will be happy.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Will You Be Happy With Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss, that is a wonderful accomplishment.

I understand that you cannot lose an additional 15 or 20 pounds which is understandable considering the significant weight loss that you have achieved. It is very common for people to reach a plateau and be unable to lose further weight.

I agree with other physicians that a combination of tummy tuck and liposuction of the upper abdomen and flanks should help you achieve a very nice result. You will also be very happy to lose that extra apron of skin on the lower abdomen.

If you have confidence in your plastic surgeon, and it sounds as though you do, I would expect he would have a nice result that you will be happy.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS