Don't Want Tummy Tuck Scar; is Lipo my Best Alternative? (45yo Male)

I am a 45yo divorced man who has been advised by one board-certified PS that "only a tummy tuck will fix this". Since a tummy tuck scar is unacceptable to me (lifestyle), I am considering aggressive lipo on belly/flanks instead. I accept that this treatment will not achieve the ideal result of a tummy tuck, but there's no giant scar, & if lipo can reduce at least 50% of my flab/jiggle, I'd be happy. Is lipo my best option? Are there other options? (Im Also fixing Gynecomastia by excision)

Tummy tuck scar

+1
The scarring from an abdominoplasty is in the pubic region and most of it is covered by pubic hair. From the photo you have submitted, it would not appear that liposuction would be the appropriate procedure for you. The bulge in your abdomen would not be alleviated. Before any surgery, you should attempt to lose weight as this might help.

Male unwilling to accept tummy tuck scar for abdominal contour enhancement

+1

Your abdominal contour is a combination of intra-abdominal and subcutaneous fat as well as reduundant skin and convex muscular contour,. In my opinion, liposuction would likely not provide you with a satisfactory result (more loose skin and little improvement in abdominal contours). I cannot think of a more effective intervention than a tummy tuck and even that would achieve limited results because it cannot address the intrabominal fatty deposits nor will it alone improve muscle contours.

There's No Replacement for Old Fashioned Diet and Exercise

+1

Arogers,

What you really need and what will give you the best result is weight loss through diet and exercise.  Plastic surgery is not a short cut to a healthier and shapelier you.  This is especially true for men with your body habitus.  Most of your fat is internal, i.e. inside your abdominal cavity.  It is therefore not accessible to liposuction and only partially manageable with a tummy tuck.  Get on a good diet and exercise plan, lose 20 pounds and then do your liposuction.  You will get a much better result and might not even need your gynecomastia surgery.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Lipo my best alternative

+1

Thanks for the photo. No you are not a good candidate for lipo only. You need weight loss and exercise also. Either prior to the operation or at least after. You would be better with a tummy tuck but you are correct in that there will be a scar. From MIAMI Dr. B

Liposuction will work for fat under the skin.

+1

Hi.

1)  Liposuction of the flanks should give you great improvement.

2)  As far as the abdomen is concerned, some men who look like you have their fat deep to the muscle (around the gut). If that is your case, you will get minimal improvement with either liposuction or tummy tuck.  So first of all, you need accurate diagnosis.  CT scan can help.

3)  If in fact, the fat in your abdomen is between the skin and the muscle, you should get good improvement with liposuction alone.

4)  Going by the one picture, I don't think you need tummy tuck.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Lipo vsTummy Tuck

+1

I think that you can obtain a significant improvement in the contour of your abdomen with liopsuction.  However, I do not feel that a 50% reduction is feasible.  It appears that a liposuction of  sufficient volume to achieve this would be risky.

John Whitt, MD

Where are you:)?

+1

arogers,

Just kidding, but the photos are so dark it is hard to see exactly how things look.  You certainly are considering the best other alternative to a tummy tuck - liposuction.

Your best option will be to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can analyze your condition "live and in person."  One thing that they will need to particularly pay attention to is how much intraabdominal fat you have.  If a majority of the fat is inside, ie, below your abdominal muscles, it is usually best for you to lose it through diet and exercise, since it is in a location that cannot be treated with either liposuction or a tummy tuck.

Go in for an evaluation and see what is best for you specifically.

Good luck.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon