Possible to Get Tummy Tuck with Low Scar/not Too Tight?

I'm 26 yrs old and have had 2 children via c-section. I'm at the weight I'd like to be, but am seeing a lot of sagging skin on my stomach. I'm considering a tummy tuck, but am worried the scar will be very high and the skin will be pulled very tightly. Is it possible to do the operation and have the scar be where my c-section scars are? Can it be done in a way that doesn't make my stomach look unnaturally tight/flat? I'd like to stay very curvy, just have smoother stomach skin.

Low scar with tummy tuck

+2

you are an ideal patient to have an "umbilical float" procedure because of the location of your belly button. this would allow us the advance your skin, tighten your muscles, and keep your scar very low. We often combine this with liposuction as well. While we can't perform this procedure too often ( not many are candidates), it is my favorite way to do a tummy tuck because you avoid the "tell-tale" scar around the belly button.

Tummy tuck with low abdominal scar

+2
When performing a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty, the scar is placed below the previous c-section scar so that it is easily hidden by bikini, underwear, and low cut jeans. By adding triple plication to the abdominoplasty the waistline and curviness is enhanced. Although the skin might be tight at the initial postoperative period, it relaxes to a natural state thereafter.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Anchoring sutures

+1
Thank you for your post. It is not common for surgeons to anchor the lower incision to the fascia or covering of the abdominal muscles to keep the scar low, however, I do use this technique and agree with it. All the tension on the incision is from above, not below, and thus the scar tends to move toward the area of maximal tension (towards the ribs/bellybutton). This moves the scar higher than desired. I like to keep my scars very low, and feel that anchoring the scar helps accomplish this. The following photo is an example of this.

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Low tummy tuck scar

+1

The incision can be placed anywhere you want.Many times I incorporate the incision into a previous C-section scar.You can pull the excess tight or have a little more laxity.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scars

+1

When I do tummy tucks, I have the patient bring in a bikini or undergarment to show me where they like to wear their bottoms.  Based on this, I make my marks so that the incision is hidden in this area.

Samer W. Cabbabe, M.D.

Board - Certified Plastic Surgeon

Saint Louis Plastic Surgery Consultants

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

A Mini-Tummy Tuck Is More Assured Of Keeping A Very Low Scar

+1

The best way to keep a very low tummy tuck scar and not make it too tight is to do a limited or mini-tummy tuck. Essentially the difference between a mini- and full tummy tuck is the extent of the skin and fat cutout. In a full tummy tuck, the excision pattern goes above the belly button and does the best at making the remaining skin as smooth and tight as possible. A mini-tummy tuck is where the excision pattern stays below the belly button. This removes less skin and fat but the final scar can remain very low and the skin is never too tight because less is removed. It is important to realize, however, that the abdominal result is not the same between the two procedures. A mini-tummy tuck produces less of a result than a full tummy tuck. But it would be more consistent with your stated goals.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

Yes, I would not tighten your muscles very much and I would place the incisions just below the C-section scar. Thanks for the photo and I hope you obtain the desired result. From MIAMI 

Scar Placement for Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty

+1

Yes, you should be able to have a low scar - placed at the same level as your c-section incision.  You appear to have loose skin which should be nicely addressed during the procedure.  It is importation to communicate effectively with your surgeon so that you are both on the same page in regard to your expectations for surgery.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Tummy tuck scar

+1

Based upon your photo, you appear to be a good candate for a tummy tuck.  You have a small waistline which  lends itself to a curvy appearance.  The incision can be placed low  at the level of your c section scar.  Your concern about  being  unnaturally tight/flat, which does not appear to be an issue on the photo,  will need to be discussed thouroughly with your plastic surgeon to make sure that he/she understands exactly what your goals are.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Can Look Very Natural

+1
The incision can be placed below the c-section scar, easily. The tightness of the procedure can be adjusted based on your desire. Most patients want to be tight, so be careful what you ask for. You wll look excellent.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD