Is It Possible for a Tummy Tuck Scar Below C Section Scar?

I am 23 years old. After a twin pregnancy, my stomach is full of stretch marks and I have loose, sagging skin. Im 5' 11", 179 lbs with a goal weight of 160. Ive heard the loose skin will only get worse with weight loss. Is it possible to have a scar about one to two inches lower than my c-section scar? I also have scarring from small cysts below my breast, will that effect the surgery or outcome?

Tummy tuck scar is always lower than a C section scar

+2

In general, a tummy tuck scar is always placed lower than the C section scar. This guarantees a scar that can be hidden and a procedure that does not make your pubic area too big. A C-section scar is made at the time of pregnancy which has a significant amount of distortion secondary to the baby and the fact that the scar is needed to access the uterus and not for a cosmetic procedures. A low scar helps to shape the mons area as well as contour the abdomen.  I am not sure what the cyst scars will do with this operation, but it is unlikely they will change. Dr. Trussler

C-section scar and tummy tuck scar location

+2
The incision can be placed below your existing C-section scar. Depending on your anatomy, you might have a short vertical scar as well. Fortunately for patients, there are now many different tummy tucks besides just full and mini tummy tucks.

Brent Moelleken, MD

You can have you TT scar below your CS scar

+2

To stretch and tighten out the skin above you belly button you will need to have an incision around your BB.  It's attached to your insides by a stalk that doesn't move that far.  Once it's released everything around it can be freed up and pulled downward leaving the BB where it is. A new hole will be made thrugh the pulled down skin over it so it can be pulled out and sewn inplace. The hole that was made around it will move down only as far as the laxity above it will stretch.  In your case it may be several inches.  Now the question if where do you want the horizontal scar?  These days women want it quite low (as you do).  Sometimes the hole made around the BB won't move down that far so what can you do?  Many surgeons will make the horizntal scar at the level of the upper edge of the BB hole so it is gone.  Unfortunately, this often makes the scar too high for fashions these days.  The other option is to close that BB hole vertically so you end up with a scar along the midline 3-4" long.  If you do this you can have you longer horizontal scar as low as you want so ot is hidden.  I explain this to my patients ans give them the choices.  Almost all choose to do this .  I occasionally have to revise the vertical scar with local anesthesia, but the results are more pleasing to many women.  Another note: when you surgeon is marking your incision make sure you put your hands across your lower abdomen and pull the tissues up tight as they will be after surgery so the locaton will be where you want it.  If this isn't done your scar will end up higher than you want.  I made this mistake marking my own abdominoplasty  incision 20 years ago.  Ever since my scar has been about 2-3" higher than I wanted.  I have not made this mistake since.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Tummy Tuck scar placement following C Sections

+2

Placement of a tummy tuck scar varies.  In patients who have a c/s scar, the tummy tuck surgery usually removes the c/s scar and is replaced by the tummy tuck scar if possible.  If the c/s scar is higher than the usual placement of the tummy tuck incision, the c/s scar can usually can be removed.  Cysts below your breasts should not be a problem unless you have an infection or drainage from them.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Anchoring sutures

+1
Thank you for your post. It is not common for surgeons to anchor the lower incision to the fascia or covering of the abdominal muscles to keep the scar low, however, I do use this technique and agree with it. All the tension on the incision is from above, not below, and thus the scar tends to move toward the area of maximal tension (towards the ribs/bellybutton). This moves the scar higher than desired. I like to keep my scars very low, and feel that anchoring the scar helps accomplish this. The following photo is an example of this.

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Is It Possible for a Tummy Tuck Scar Below C Section Scar?

+1

In general - yes.  Of course, it is impossible to make any definitive suggestions without being able to see you in person and assess both your skin/fat, and go over what your expectations are.  And if you're thinking about having more children, it obviously makes more sense to do so before undergoing a TT.  But, that being said, it normally IS possible to place the TT incision lower than your existing C-section scar (depending on the anatomy).  What's difficult is doing it the other way (ie, placing a TT incision above an existing C-section scar (since that risks leaving a relatively narrow strip of underperfused skin and that may increase the risk of wound healing problems.  Again, it's nearly impossible to say something more than that without being able to do an in-person evaluation.  But:

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Scar Location?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is possible that your tummy tuck  incision may be placed at or below the level of the previous C-section scar. This can be  determined  best after direct physical examination.

The main determinant of the tummy tuck incision and resulting scar line is the patient's body type.  Ideally the incision and resulting skyline is kept as little as possible,  planned to be hidden beneath undergarments and swimming suit.

If the patient has a significant amount of redundant skin (especially about the umbilicus)  then the incision and resulting scar line  of the tummy tuck may be kept  very low. On the other hand, if the patient has a short torso and/or very little skin above the umbilicus then the  incision and scar line may need to be placed higher.  Sometimes a short vertical scar is also necessary (previous umbilical opening).

Tummy Tuck

+1

You are correct that the skin around the abdomen will become more loose with weight loss.  Stretch marks act almost as scars and do not allow the skin to snap back as it once did. The purpose of the tummy tuck is too remove the loose skin and most of the stretch marks below the belly button. The incision is usally placed below a c-section scar.  As for the scars below your breasts, there is a chance that when your skin is pulled tightly over the abdomen that they will move further down your stomach. I hope this helps you.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Placement of Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

It is always possible to place a Tummy Tuck scar below a C-Section scar, as you can then remove the C-Section scar. The opposite is not possible. This allows us to place the scar low for a better cosmetic appearance and better ability to hide it. Other scars are dealt with individually, but are usually not a problem (except for sub-costal gallbladder scars which cause us to modify the procedure). Congratulations on loosing the extra weight. You will get a much better result by doing so.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

C section scars

+1

Your c section scar placement is variable.  It all depends on where your OB put it.  It can be really low and if that's the case it will define where the TT scar goes.  Your overall abdomen will look much better after a TT assuming you're done having children. 

Best wishes

Ricardo A. Meade, MD