Tummy Tuck Scar Revision, Am I a Candidate? (photo)

I am 4 months PO. I do not like my scar placement and it is stressing me out and depressing me sooo much. I also don't think I'm as tight as I could be and have dog ears. Does it look like some smartlipo, skin tightening and lowering the scar are options for me to get a better result?

Revise Tummy Tuck Scar

+4

I would have to examine you in person to be certain, but from your photos it does appear that you have enough excess skin to revise your Tummy Tuck Scar to a lower location.

Careful Liposuction could also improve your result

Revision will improve your results

+3
Hello, Yes, revision tummy tuck can be performed and will improve your result but I would wait a few more months before doing so. When doing I recommend that you get full redo of your tummy tuck. Doing so will allow maximun lowering of your incision as well as maximum tightening of both the soft tissue and the abdominal wall. Additional liposuction can be performed at the same time.

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy Tuck Revision Surgery Candidate?

+3

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although you may want to wait a few additional months of (and even up to one year)  before undergoing revisionary surgery, I think you will be able to achieve an  improved results with additional skin excision and possibly liposuction surgery.

Tummy Tuck Scar Revision, Am I a Candidate?

+2

No you are not at this time. you should wait at least a full year. But the issue is the pre operative discussions between you and your surgeon as to incision placement. This lowering idea is very very hard to achieve. No lipo will address these issues. 

After tummy tuck

+2

As a rule, the center of the abdomen is tighter than the sides after tummy tuck because much more tissue can be removed from the midline than from the sides. In your situation, you have two issues the level of the scar being too high and the extra tissue. You should discuss the revision with your doctor and wear underwear or bathing suit while being marked for the surgery to make sure the scar can be hidden, and where you want it. The level of the lateral arm of the scar has changed  many times as fashion has changed, and I suspect that it is going to continue to change with the garment fashion industry changes. 

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Scar Revision

+2

Thanks for your question and for the photographs you have attached.from the third photo it looks like you're demonstrating some laxity near the edge of the incision. It looks like there is enough excess skin here event her incision could be lowered by extending your abdominoplasty part or most of the way around towards the back, the procedure some call posterior body lift or a belt lipectomy.

It looks from the photos that she's had a full tummy tuck, but the skin tightening from that procedure will not extend beyond the incision. I don't think that SmartLipo will give you any improvement.

Thanks and best wishes

Scar care after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids or lasers also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Those are used if scar is thick or dark, but not to reduce the wideness of the scar, which is the main problem. Massage also does not help keep the scar thin, and can actually worsen the scar in the first 12 weeks because you are actually adding tension to the scar. Massage is for softening a hard or thick scar, but if used early, will hasten the scar widening. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar revision - am I a candidate?

+1
Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. These can usually be started at approximately 3-4 weeks postop and when incisions healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process. Scars will never disappear, but attempt is made to make the finest scar in a concealed location.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.  Revision may be considered to lower or conceal incision if appropriate and there is enough laxity to potentially move the incision. 

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Problem scars around the umbilicus and positioning of the low transverse scar after an abdominoplasty

+1

Problem scars around the umbilicus and positioning of the low transverse scar after an abdominoplasty.  The umbilical scar is really he cherry on the ice cream sundae when it comes to abdominoplasty surgery.  It is the most visible scar and most plastic surgeons are very careful to create a nice, aesthetically pleasing scar.  Everything can be done correctly and a small percentage of patients will make a bad scar.  Your scar and lateral fullness can be improved with a revision.