Tummy Tuck Scar Placement?

I've read that people who have more extra skin will have lower and shorter scars...is how low/long the scar will be based completely on how much extra skin you have or this something that can be controlled? I'm worried about scar that wraps all around my back and up to my bellybutton. I know a consultation will give me those answers, but I'm curious and don't want to get a consultation done until I lose the rest of my weight.

Keep tummy tuck scars low and out of sight

+2

Patients with more skin actually need longer scars, but in all cases I believe it is best to keep the scar low so it can be more easily concealed. The use of Progressive Tension Sutures helps to pull the skin down enough for a low scar.

Tummy tuck scar placement

+1

Tummy tuck scars may be in the lower abdomen- extending just beneath a typical c-section scar for a “mini-tuck” located at or just above the pubic hairline.  A full tummy tuck has a longer lazy-u shaped scar extending from hip to hip and a scar around the belly button.  A beltline dermatolipectomy scar extends around the entire waistline (combining a tummy tuck plus buttock lift).

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

It is all in the design.

+1

The length of the scar should never be an arbitrary figure. It should be rigorously controlled by the design of the tummy tuck procedure on the day of the surgery. Your body will influence the tracing and dictate the final position and extent of the incision, hence the resulting scar. 

Maher Anous, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck scar

+1

Thank you for your question.  Usually, the more excess skin you have, the longer the scar.  You will have to see a plastic surgeon in your area to give you an estimate of how long yours may be.  Either way, the scar can be kept low to help conceal it.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Scar Placement and Length

+1

Tummy Tuck scars are always placed low centrally. The lateral extent depends on teh type of swimwear and underwear that you prefer. It can be placed to hide under a low cut Bikini or under clothes with higher lateral leg openings. The length will depend on your anatomy and whether a bulge will appear under a short scar or not. Only an examination and consultation will determine this.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Where would my post op tummy tuck scars be situated?

+1

Usually the routine procedure leaves post op scarring in the immediate supra pubic area beneath the panty line[

unless it is a male patient]. There also may be a scar around the umbilicus [bellybutton]

James B. Kahl, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Scar position and length

+1

Technique for tummy tuck surgery varies, Scar length tends to increase for patients with more excess skin though.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Scars

+1

I don't want to frighten you, but most lifts leave you with unsightly scars. There are many things surgeons do to improve a scar's appearance. Today, we suture almost every incision under the skin, leaving no stitch marks or "railroad tracks." Working with the patient, a surgeon can also best determine the positioning of most scars.

Typical candidates for a tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position. The surgeon typically makes a slightly rounded, horizontal incision from one hip to the other, just above the pubic area. Another incision is also made around the navel, to allow the bellybutton to be loosened from the surrounding tissue.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Location and length of tummy tuck scar

+1

The length of tummy tuck scar depends on the amount of excess skin you have.  The location of scar is based on where your excess tissue is and where your belly button is located in relation to your abdomen.  It is important to visit with a plastic surgeon to see where your scar would be and how long.  It is good that you want to lose the rest of weight before surgery; however, it doesn't hurt to see a plastic surgeon at this time and talk about your expectation and goal.

Sugene Kim, MD

Incision location can be controlled, incision length is often dependent on how much tissue is removed.

+1

The location and quality of the final incision is by far more important in my humble opinion than the length of the incision.  A thin incision that is symmetric and is located low within the bikini line will be tolerated and appreciated by everyone regardless of incision length.  The quality and location of the incision is largely dependent on how the tummy tuck is designed and executed.  The length of the incision is largely dependent on the amount of tissue that needs to be removed.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD