Does Less Skin Mean Shorter Tummy Tuck Scar?

I was told by a plastic surgeon that my tummy tuck scar would not be that long because I don't have much skin. However, I am getting a full tummy tuck. Can someone explain if the less skin you have equals the length of the scar?

Length of tummy tuck scar

+2

Hi,

The incision used for an abdominoplasty basically serves 2 purposes. One, as you've already figured out, it's used to directly excise redundant skin and fat. So yes, the more loose skin you have, the longer the incision usually needs to be. Two, the incision allows your surgeon to see the entire abdominal wall. This enables him or her to tighten the abdominal wall muscles from the sternum to the pubic bone.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Shorter tummy tuck scar

+1

Yes, it's quite possible that a patient with less skin to be removed can achieve a shorter scar than a patient with more redundant skin.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Tummy tuck scar.

+1

I just answered your other question!

Yes, even with a full abdominoplasty, less excess skin on the sides translates into a shorter scar. It's a little bit like dress making. How big are the pleats that have to be removed?

Having said that, I will also tell you that the quality of the contour should never be compromised just to get a slightly shorter scar. You want a flat stomach.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Variations in Tummy Tuck Scars

+1

Abdominal girth, skin resiliency, skin elasticity, and skin redundancy will affect the size of the abdominal scar.  Also, the amount of flank lipodystrophy can affect the presence of dog ears and the need for further revisional surgery such as liposuction.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS