Tummy Tuck Scar & Breast Lift?

Thinking about a TT and breast lift. First, how long does the scar last in a TT? Does it ever really go away? What's the difference between a mini & full TT? Also, I wanted a breast lift with the TT. Will the breast sag over time if I don't get an implant? If I maintain my weight and do not have kids, will they still sag over time? Any other info you can provide would be great. Thanks!

Scar care after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids or lasers also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Those are used if scar is thick or dark, but not to reduce the wideness of the scar, which is the main problem. Massage also does not help keep the scar thin, and can actually worsen the scar in the first 12 weeks because you are actually adding tension to the scar. Massage is for softening a hard or thick scar, but if used early, will hasten the scar widening. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Without an exam and photos it is hard to answer the questions. You need to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. In my past experience, I have combined the procedures for a mommy makeover.How long your TT scar is depend upon how much skin is removed. Best wishes.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift for Mommy Makeover

+1

The tummy tuck scar will fade over a period of a year or so but will not completely vanish.  The same can be said of the breast lift scars.   The minitummy tuck removes only a small piece of skin below the belly button and is appropriate for very few women.  A tummy tuck removes about 3 times as much skin and tissue.  The tummy tuck also involves creating a new belly button and tightening of the muscles.  The breast lift longevity will be dependent somewhat on the quality of your skin and the quality of your result.  Implants due to sheer weight will make breasts sag faster.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of mommy makeovers each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tucks, breast implants and breast lifts

+1

Thank you for your questions about tummy tucks, breast lifts and implants

• The usual tummy tuck scar goes from hip to hip. Scars fade but rarely disappear. This tummy tuck repairs skin, muscle and excess fat.
  • a mini-tummy tuck only tightens  lower tummy muscle.
  • Breast implants do not prevent breast sagging
  • Breast implants provide a little lift, larger size and upper breast fullness.
  • Future breast sagging? What happens in your family is your best guide.
  • Hope this helps! 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck

+1

The difference between a mini-tummy tuck and a full tummy tuck is whether or not the upper abdomen is treated. Generally, in a mini-tummy tuck, the surgery is confined to the area of the tummy below the belly button. Scars on a mini tummy tuck can be shorter ( this is also true because mini tummy tucks are done when there is not a lot of excess skin in the abdomen, hence the patient qualifies for a mini-tummy tuck). Breast will continue to age, even after a breast lift. There are ways to help minimize the extent of aging (sagging), such as wearing supportive bras, maintaining stable weight etc. Implants can influence the degree of aging in some patients because they do add weight to the breasts. I encourage my patients to wear supportive bras as much as possible in order to minimize the effect aging has on breast tissue.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Scars after tummy tuck& breast lift

+1

Wound healing is a continuum over time.  Generally, scars get red thick and hard for about three months and then start to flatten and fade.  This process can take a year or two.  The best you can ultimately hope for is a pencil thin white line.  The length of the scars will depend on your anatomy.  Generally, a mini-tummy tuck scar is a little shorter than a full tummy tuck scar, but not necessarily.  The breast will sag with time, gravity, weight and whether or not you wear a bra most of the time.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

TT and breast lift

+1

Unfortunately scars last forever. However we try to give you the best possible medium to form the nicest scars possible and also try to place them in a location where the result is optimized and the scar is best camouflaged

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Scars and the Mommy Makeover

+1

Lots of questions here and I would agree that a consultation in person would be helpful. Briefly, scars are forever, but they do improve with time.  The difference between a mini and a full tummy tuck is that a mini  doesn't change the abdomen above the bellybutton.  Whether or not this is the right operation for you depends on where the problem areas lie- your surgeon can discuss this with you.  Lastly, it is impossible to predict what will happen to ones breasts as they age, but sagging is typical.  An implant won't prevent that.  There are a lot of things to consider.  Make sure that you get all of your questions answered on your visit to the surgeon and that you feel comfortable with their recommendations.

Dr Douglas Hargrave, M.D.

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Too many questions

+1

You need to visit some plastic surgeons becuase what you are asking will take an hour of in person conversation with a doctor to answer.  Scars are permanent, forever, but they improve with time and are what is necessary for the trade off of better shape and tone in a TT and BL.  MiniTT's are rare as they do nothing above the umbi and breast implants are only needed if you need extra volume besides just the lift.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover, beast surgery and tummy tuck scars

+1

It takes about an hour to do a formal consultation on the issues you have raised.

Why not make an appointment with several prominent respected plastic surgeons in your area and get the scoop firsthand?

There are many different options between mini tucks and full tummy tucks so the issue, while offering more choices, becomes even more complicated.

Brent Moelleken, MD