Tummy Tuck Scab

I'm happy my wound finally closed.  I'm 13 days post op its scabbing over.  Should I put something on the scab

Scab on tummy tuck wound

+1

All surgeons have their preferences for wound care. In my experience, I prefer to leave the scabs, allowing them to dry and separate on their own without any dressing changes.

Post-operative healing should be guided by your plastic surgeon.

+1

This type of question needs to be directed to your own surgeon who is aware of your specific situation and is able to examine your wound carefully.

Follow your surgeon's directions carefully and you should arrive at a very acceptable result.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck incision should NOT scab

+1

A well-healing surgical wound does not scab, it heals with primarily with a very narrow area of visible wound. A scabbing wound implies there was superficial tissue death or a large raw surfaces which dried up. rather than soliciting opinions online, you should ask your surgeon what he would like you to do.

I routinely ask my patients to apply a thin layer of antibiotic ointment to keep such areas moist, which rapidly enhances healing, and acts as a mild bacterial barrier.

Where is your plastic surgeon?

+1

Hi.

About one third of questions on RealSelf are from patients who have recently had surgery and who have a specific question about their post operative care.  These patients have paid a surgeon, and they have to ask strangers?

The obvious question is: Where is the surgeon?  Where is the surgeon's nurse?  They are supposed to be available to you 24 hours a day to make sure your recovery goes smoothly.  Don't patients expect this?

Why don't you try calling your surgeon?  You shouldn't have scabs in the first place.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)