Will a Tummy Tuck Help Sagging Love Handles?

I have lost a lot of weight (205 to 155), and now I have a lot of loose skin in my love handle area. This is extremely noticeable at night more than day time. I have a lot of stretch marks on my love handle area. I am fine with my stomach and how it looks, just not my love handles, which is mostly excess skin sagging. What can I do?

Tummy tuck will not help love handles but liposuction may.

+2

Hi.

Be careful about surgery, because you may find the scars unacceptable. Tummy tuck will not help. Tne back half of a body lift would help, but there are prominent scars. Usually this area is treated with liposuction with superficial tunnelling, which tightens the skin some. But your skin may be too loose for this approach. So I am afraid you don't have great options.

Weight Loss and Sagging Love Handles

+1
  • Plastic surgery, with direct excision of the excess skin and fat of your love handles, will leave you with long and noticeable scars.  This is a trade-off: scars vs. excess ("flabby") flank skin.
  • Only you can decide whether or not you can live with long scars extending from your lateral abdomen extending around onto your back.

Please visit with an experienced plastic surgeon who can help you weigh the risk vs. the benefits of this surgery.

Best Regards,

Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Tradeoff

+1

While a tummy tuck is a possibility, you will have a trade off of loose skin for scars which may be unacceptable.  Consult with 2 - 3 surgeons in your area who can do a thorough consultation including physical examination so you have a clearer idea of the possibilities.

Love handles and excessive skin

+1

I completely agree that you will be trading one concern for another. I would really think about how much this bothers you. If you determine the trade-off is worth it, consult with a reputable board certified plastic surgeon in your area. The surgeon will examine you and discuss the benefits and risks for the appropriate treatment option.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Understanding the trade you would be making....

+1

Hi there-

In situations like yours, I always explain to my patients that what they have to be comfortable with is making a trade:

You must be comfortable trading the loose, excess skin you have, as well as money and time recovering from surgery, for a body shape that is improved, with less skin and which has scars on it...

I wholeheartedly agree with some of the other surgeons that it is vital that you understand that while the QUANTITY of your skin can be reduced, the QUALITY of your skin will never be restored.

So surgery will only offer you an imperfect solution.

Consider these thoughts- if the skin bothers you enough that this seems to be a reasonable trade to you, find a surgeon you like and can trust and discuss your options after a consultation.

Here's some advice on finding a surgeon:

Web reference: http://orlandoplasticsurgery.blogspot.com/2009/11/choosing-plastic-surgeon-part-2.html#f550

Love handles. Liposuction or tummy tuck?

+1

Great question and the photos help. It appears you have minimal to moderate fat and the fact that you have stretch marks in this area you can assume your skin is permanently damaged. Your options as I see it are liposuction first to see if you can thin the area out, though this will not improve your skin laxity, therefore ultimately you would be looking at an outer thigh lift to remove this area. You are trading scars for the stretch marks though the scars can be hidden under clothing. You would really need a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options after the area of concern is evaluated.

Dr. Trussler

Consider Smartlipo

+1

Looking at your picture, specially the right side which is not being stretched by your hand, the amount of skin laxity if not too bad. It seems in the picture you still have some localized adiposity on your abdomen and flanks. Liposculturing of your abdomen and flanks with smarlipo MPX, looks like a good option, this will not address your stretch marks but if the shape is improved and if your skin gets tighther, I believe you will be happy.

You need to consult with a Board certified plastic Surgeron ( american board of plastic surgery) using smartlipo MPX, be aware of the weekend trained experts, if somebody promises too much probably you should go and see a different surgeon, Good luck

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck to help sagging love handles

+1

All the expert posters seem to warn you about the trade off of poor elastic skin vs a scar. I wholeheartedly agree. Be careful what you wish for.

FROM MIAMI DR B

Loose skin after weight loss

+1

Unfortunately, by being overweight, you destroyed the natural elasticity in your skin and it will never return to a tight state even if you try to excise the skin as in a tummy tuck. This would give you some nasty scars and the skin will still be looser than you would like. Probably doing nothing would be best or a little liposuction at the most.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Thigh lift is an option but may be excessive

+1

You are essentially describing a hip dermolipectomy (outer thigh lift) type procedure. This can leave extensive scars but is the the only consistent method of achieving correction of loose skin.