Is a tummy tuck safe 6 years post ventral hernia w/mesh

7 years ago I underwent emergency surgery for a ruptured appendix then 6 years ago I had a very large ventral hernia repaired - 6 inches - with mesh. I know I'll need a proper evaluation for an accurate answer but how complicated is the large mesh patch going to make an abdominoplasty?

Abdominplasty after large hernia repair with mesh

+1

A skin only abdominoplasty is unlikely to be a problem even with a large mesh hernia repair. If abdominal wall tightening is done at the same time, there may be some limitations depending on how loose or tight your abdominal wall tissue is and how much mesh was used. Make sure you discuss this with your Board Certified plastic surgeon. It may be helpful to bring your operative reports from your hernia surgery to your initial consultation.

Ventral Hernia and Abdominoplasty

+1

Thanks for the question.

If you have stable ventral hernia repair, which it sounds like yo do, the mesh shouldn't be a problem as far as performing a tummy tuck. However, the midline plication and hence the overall result may be compromised due to the history of a hernia with mesh placement. Additionally, any unnecessary exposure of the mesh to the atmosphere increases the risk of infection, so keep that in mind prior to proceeding. My suggestion is to follow up with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a proper evaluation with recommendations.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Tummy tuck after hernia repair

+1

The ability to do a tummy tuck really depends upon the history of your previous hernia and the outcome from your prior surgery.  First a thorough exam and history need to be obtained.

Safety of a Tummy Tuck 6 years after Ventral Hernia Repair

+1

Regarding: "Is a tummy tuck safe 6 years post ventral hernia w/mesh
7 years ago I underwent emergency surgery for a ruptured appendix then 6 years ago I had a very large ventral hernia repaired - 6 inches - with mesh. I know I'll need a proper evaluation for an accurate answer but how complicated is the large mesh patch going to make an abdominoplasty
?"

Interesting and NOT straightforward question. I am ASSUMING that your ventral hernia was in some way related to the operation for the ruptured appendix a year earlier. ? you were operated through a midline incision and either the wound became infected or the wound separated due to infection resulting in the hernia. It is not clear to me WHY the repair of the ventral hernia required a mesh and, if so, what type of mesh was used.

Before seeing a good Plastic surgeon, I would obtain your old surgical records, especially the notes of the surgeon involving the appendix and ventral hernia repair. This would help the Plastic surgeon enormously. He can then examine you and communicate, doctor to doctor with your general surgeon to ascertain what was done and what could be done.

In general a tummy tuck CAN be done safely after a ventral hernia repair but may take longer to perform due to the the degree of scarring that has to be dealt with.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Tummy tuck following a heria repair

+1

The difficulty of performing a abdominoplasty following hernia repair often relates to the materia which was used and the status of the abdominal wall musculature as well as the reasons for hernia. A hernia from massive infections after a gunshot wound make a tummy tuck is more difficult than a ventral wound dehisence.  Some materials have a greater likelihood of infection or may not do well when folded.