Is a Tummy Tuck Safe in the Months or Years After Smartlipo of the Abdomen?

Tummy Tuck is Safe after Lipo

Yes, you can always do a Tummy Tuck after Liposuction.  Along with the other Plastic Surgeons,  I would recommend waiting about 6 months before having the Tummy Tuck. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

525 Oak Centre Dr
San Antonio, TX 78258

Tummy tuck after liposuction

As Dr. Moelleken nicely said, this can be done after 6-9 months but I am not clear on why you wouuld be doing this.  If you need a tummy tuck for extra skin and muscle laxity it is best just to do that.  If you have too much fat in the abdomen to be a great TT candidate, then lose the weight and do the TT later, don't try to substitute lipo for weight loss.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Abdominoplasty after liposuction or Smart Lipo

Generally if you wait six months after your liposuction procedure, you would be a candidate for a tummy tuck.  It is wise to let this much time elapse because subtle irregularities may take that long to manifest, and these irregularities should be addressed at the time of the tummy tuck.

The tummy tuck after liposuction is often more technically difficult and takes longer to perform as scar tissue is present and the layers can actually fuse, making the procedure a bit more difficult.

An experienced plastic surgeon should not have too much trouble, however, performing this.

Brent Moelleken, MD

120 S Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Abdominoplasty after liposuction

Very good question. If you need an abdominoplasty now, then liposuction will not be efficacious and may worsen the appearance of your abdomen as the skin will sag more afterwards. Abdominoplasty can be combined with liposuction in one procedure which would be more cost effective. However, if you have already undergone liposuction, I would encourage you to wait a minimum of six months prior to an abdominoplasty. It is extremely important not to succumb to the temptation to do the procedure you can afford instead of waiting to undergo the one that your body needs!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Tummy tuck after lipo safe?

The short answer -  yes.   I would wait 4-6 months after any liposuction procedure before considering a tummy tuck.  You want your swelling/edema from the lipo procedure to resolve.   Keep in mind that your previous liposuction procedure may have created some scar inside the fat in your abdominal wall.  Although the chances are low, there is a possibility that a tummy tuck could potentially unmask or exacerbate any deformities created by your initial liposuction procedures.   Hence, you need to be evaluated by a member ASPS board certified plastic surgeon. 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

6400 Fannin
Houston, TX 77030

Tummy tuck following laser lipolysis (smartlipo_

In my limited experience with laser lipolysis (smart lipo), there can be extensive fibrosis beneath the skin, which can make a tummy tuck surgery more complicated. Depending on the examination and degree of fibrosis (scarring), I would have to make a decision on an individual basis.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

As one of the Clinical Instructors for Smmart Lipo I recommend waiting at LEAST 6 months for full healing from the laser surgery. Best of luck from MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Tummy tuck and abdominoplasty

Yes.  I recommend waiting a period of at least 6 months, preferably longer before a tummy tuck.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

2100 Webster Street,
San Francisco, CA 94115

A Tummy Tuck after Lipo

I think that this issue arises quite often.  A majority of patients in this economy are looking to save money rather than listen to what the recommendation of the Plastic Surgeon may be.  Liposuction is definitely less expensive for patients but not always the right option.  If a patient lacks the elasticity in their skin liposuction can make some people feel worse about their appearance.  This is because they find now they have the issue of saggy skin.  I think seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would be beneficial for you right now.  Then you can get the proper recommendation for what will be best for you.  Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

450 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94108

Tummy Tuck after Smartlipo

Yes, tummy tuck / abdominoplasty is safe after smartlipo or traditional liposuction.  In most cases, liposuction can be performed at the same time as tummy tuck.  However, some patients choose to have liposuction first and then later decide to have a tummy tuck / abdominoplasty.  However, there is no medical contraindication to tummy tuck / abdominoplasty after liposuction.  

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022