Is a Tummy Tuck Right for Me? 19 Year Old Male, (80lb Weight Loss) (photo)

From the age of 16 to 19, i have lost about 80lb, 60 of it in the span of 5 months. People have told me i look great and that im skinny now, but when the shirt comes off, i am no where near satisfied. I'm 5'10, 185, used to be 265. Whats the best thing for me surgery wise?

Is a Tummy Tuck Right for Me?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. Generally speaking, always best to proceed with body contouring surgery after you have achieved a long-term stable weight. Doing so, will help minimize the risks of surgery as well as decreased chances that additional surgery will become necessary down the line.

Seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons.

Male Tummy Tuck Candidate

+1

If you have finished your weight loss then a tummy tuck would be the next logical step.   If you are planning to lose any additional weight do that first.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD male tummy tuck Los Angeles, CA

Is a Tummy Tuck Right for Me

+1

From the look of the photos, you are (or will be) an excellent tummy tuck candidate. If you are still losing weight, getting closer to your goal will give you a better outcome. There appears to be a lot of loose skin, and that makes it unlikely that liposuction is a satisfactory alternative, though it might be suggested as an adjunct, especially to the flanks.

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

Hi Jason,

Thanks for submitting your picture. Your BMI is close to 27. In order to get below BMI of 25 (recommended ) you will need to lose another 11-12 pounds. It is doable but not easy. The last 10 pounds are the toughest.  From your picture, it appears that you have skin and muscles laxity and you are lacking waist definition. So, it all comes down to your goal. If it is a flat and hard stomach with narrower waist , than tummy tuck is the procedure for you. Moreover, many patients who undergo tummy tuck lose weight due to the muscle tightening. It will be easier for you to lose the final 10 pounds after tummy tuck. Consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

I suggest waiting

+1

Congratulations for all your hard work. Your body is young enough that it may still be changing and your skin may tighten further. I would wait a year after your weight has stabilized before considering tummy tuck - your skin needs more time to maximally shrink.

If a year later you are still unhappy, you may be a candidate for a tummy tuck.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck versus Liposuction

+1

Looking at your pictures and knowing your age, you may be a good candidate for liposuction. The two procedures are very different. Liposuction only removes fat giving you a better shape and contours your mid-section. A tummy tuck is more aggressive that will remove fat, tighten muscles and remove skin from the abdomen. I would suggest consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine which procedure would benefit you the most.

Leo Lapuerta, MD