Can I Do a Tummy Tuck Right After a C Section, on the Same Operation.

I am 44 years old, perfect health and pregnant for the second time. My daughter is 8. Could I possibly take advantage of my c section to do a tummy tuck at the same time?Thanks, Elena.

Tummy Tuck at the time of C-section is not in your best interests

+1

Hi there-

As with so many questions we are often asked, there is a great difference between what "can" be done, and whether it "should" be done...

Is it possible to perform a tummy tuck on you at the time of your c-section? Yes.

Would I ever let anyone I cared about have this done? Absolutely not.

Doing so necessarily and significantly elevates your risk of complications related to the surgery- and let's agree- a tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure... It doesn't make sense to take ANY unnecessary risks.

Wait until you've healed, your baby weight is gone, and your family is settled in to it's newest member. At that point, you'll not only get a better outcome from your tummy tuck, but it will be safer too.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

TT and c-section together

+1

This combination has been studied - and it turns out that there is a significantly higher complication rate, especially with wound infection and blood clots.

Imagine the worst possible case scenario - you have a major complication like a pulmonary embolism....and then you aren't able to look after your new baby because you are in the ICU, or worse.

It's better to wait, let the skin return to normal, lose the pregnancy weight, and let your DVT/PE risk normalize....and have the tummy tuck about 6 months later.

Tummy Tuck and C-Section

+1

No!  This is not a good time at all to perform a tummy tuck.  The risk of complications far exceeds the benefits for starters and that is where the conversation will and should end.

Dr. ES

TT with C section?

+1

While the idea of combining your cesarean section with an abdominoplasty might seem appealing, it is not recommended. First of all, your tissues are swollen, you are at a different weight,, and obtaining a good cosmetic result is not so easy. Secondly, the incidence of complications including infection, and deepening thrombosis is unacceptable. It is best to have your C-section, lose your weight, returning to your prepregnancy form and then undergo abdominoplasty. It might help if you are gynecologist speaks to your plastic surgeon to help determine placement of the scar.

Best to separate tummy tuck and C section surgeries

+1

This would be an aggressive move and does put your health at some increased risk for complications such as infection and deep venous thrombosis.  I don't recommend it.

You could only be criticized and never praised for doing these two procedures together.

For Best Results, Wait

+1

The appeal of combining c-section surgery and tummy tuck surgery is certainly enticing.  For your best result from post-pregnancy tummy tuck, though, you are better off waiting at least 6-12 months after giving birth.  After your pregnancy, your skin and muscles will "spring back" to a certain degree, and your body will continue to change over time.  These changes stabilize by around one year post-partum.  It is at this time that the most predictable results can be obtained from body contouring surgery.

Dr. Skourtis

Can or should?

+1

You should NOT do a tummy tuck at the same time as a C-section. Have your baby and enjoy it. Then 6 - 12 months later have an elective tummy tuck. Too much bad can happen having the two done together, it is not recommended.

Web reference: http://www.wrmd.com

Tummy Tuck Right After C-section?

+1

It would be in your best interests to delay the tummy tuck surgery for approximately one year after pregnancy (assuming you have completed pregnancies and are at a long-term stable weight).

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

C section and tummy tuck

+1

The risks of infection and bleeding are increased with combining these procedures together.  It is recommended to delay the tummy tuck for several weeks to months.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.