Do I Need A Tummy Tuck to Get Rid of the Lower Belly Fat I Have? Or Are There Certain Foods an Exercises I Can Do? (photo)

I;ve always been a little chubby before I had my two kids, but after both my pregnancies my belly is like jello and my lower belly hangs. Is a tummy tuck needed or are their exercises to help me get rid of all of this fat? I weigh 163 at the moment. and I need to be in my 120s, 130s. Tell me what I need to do please? How it looks makes me feel horrible about myself and I want to be fit and in shape. If a tummy tuck is needed how much does it cost?

Tummy Tuck after Weight Loss

Thank you for your question.  I think you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck with lipo of the flanks.   It appears that you have some internal/visceral fat that could be improved with diet and exercise prior to surgery.   My recommendation is for you to work on getting to your goal of 120-130, with a reward of a tummy tuck at the end of your weight loss journey.   This will make your final result better and it will make you healthier.  This will mean less risk during surgery and recovery.   I wish you all the best.

Dr. Gill

9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380

Tummy Tuck Candidate

Based on the skin laxity, you appear to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck. However, you may want to get closer (generally 20 pounds) to your ideal weight for better results. When you are closer to your ideal weight, consult with 3 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options, and choose the surgeon/surgical plan that best meets your needs/objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406

Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy

A tummy tuck can remove excess fat and skin, as well as tighten any loose muscles that exist. However, you should first try to exercise and diet to see if it will give you the body contour you'd like, as well as achieve a better weight for your overall health. Once you achieve your ideal weight and if you are still unhappy with your body contour, then you may consider a tummy tuck. This way, any surgery planned will be less extensive and safer for you. Best of luck!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Tummy tuck for fat removal

You need an abdominoplasty with mesh reinforcement.  This is a technique that has been proven to be effective in reducing weight and keeping the weight off.  At surgery several pounds of skin and fat are resected.  This technique will remove the lower belly fat and strengthen your abdominal wall.  Low fat diet and exercise can produce weight loss but long term results are poor with the patients returning to original weight.  An abdominoplasty with mesh reinforcement costs $6900 in Houston, TX.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

14887 Southwest Freeway
Sugar Land, TX 77478

Diet and exercise vs tummy tuck

This is a very common question asked by many patients after childbirth.  To answer your situation specifically, if you feel that you can realistically lose another 20-40 lbs and that is close to your pre-pregnancy weight, then I would continue to try to lose that weight.  If your skin quality around the lower abdomen is good, you may be satisfied not getting a tummy tuck.  With that said, and based on your photos, I would surmise that your skin and soft tissue will not shrink to the degree that you would be happy with.  Only a tummy tuck in combination with liposuction can adequately correct all the issues that you have in your abdomen.  Lastly, a tummy tuck is not a weight loss procedure, and you may only lose a pound or two after surgery.  Some women get fit and trim and plateau and then decide to have the surgery.  Others become more motivated to get fit after they see the results of their surgery.  So my advice would be to know yourself well, be realistic, and know what your goals are.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

2600 Post Road
Southport, CT 06890

Exercise Can't Target a Specific Fat Area or Tone Skin

Plastic Surgeon's always get the best long lasting result when you are at your steady weight (i.e. plateaued +/- 5 pounds in a year). Once your weight is stable  and you have made permanent lifestyle changes with diet and exercise you will be a a great candidate for a tummy tuck and probably some liposuction in your upper abdomen and hips. Exercise Can't Target a Specific Fat Area or reduce or tone skin which is why the surgical approach in addition to diet/exercise modifications will be needed.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Tummy Tuck Option

I think a healthy diet and exercise should always be encouraged.  However, it appears you have loose skin and likely muscle separation after having kids.  Unfortunately, often, no amount of diet and exercise can reverse many post pregnancy changes to your tummy wall.  Therefore, you are likely a good candidate for a tummy tuck procedure +/- lipo of your waist.   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

6400 Fannin
Houston, TX 77030

Brownsville TT

You'll do great with a TT!  If you get lipo, depending on your weight at the time of surgery, the cost will be around $8-9 k for everything.  Keep working for your goals!

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

9101 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 75231

Tummy tuck does what diet and exercise alone can't

Given the degree of skin laxity shown in the photos, there is no question that a tummy tuck will give the best results. Exercise and diet will help with the weight loss first, but they cannot tighten skin or "spot" reduce. So do what you can on your own and plan on a tummy tuck when the time is right.

Richard Baxter, MD

6100 219th St SW
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043

Weight Loss May Improve the Results of Your Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and pictures.  You have a fair amount of excess skin in your lower abdomen.  Either weight loss or liposuction alone will increase the overhanging skin.  Liposuction can improve your contour somewhat but will not give as much of a benefit as a tummy tuck.  If you are able to drop some of your extra weight before the abdominoplasty you will get a better overall improvement. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

901 Boren Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104