How Likely is MR to Come Undone Again After Tummy Tuck Revision? (photo)

Full TT w/MR 10 mos ago.At 10 weeks I was released to exercise again including running.I ran 3 miles.The following night while lying in bed I felt "firecrackers" going off in my middle stomach.It is very evident it has come undone.My stomach started protruding again and now I am left with that pregnancy look again. I have maintained my weight throughout. PS wants $2200 to repair. Considering a revision with another Dr.How likely is it to come undone again? Neither Dr. can tell me why it happened

Surgery needed to address bulge.

Your pictures and history clearly demonstrate a dehiscence of your abdominal muscle repair following abdominoplasty.This is an unusual complication which is hard to understand in light of your history.Running ten weeks after surgery shouldn’t cause this type of problem.Clearly the popping sound that you heard was related to disruption of the interrupted sutures that were used for your muscle closure.This is confirmed by the onset of a bulge the following morning.
Under these circumstances re-operative surgery will be necessary to correct this problem.It’s important for your surgeon to use meticulous surgical technique.It might be reasonable to proceed slowly with any type of activity following this procedure. It’s important to thoroughly discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon. Your plastic surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that address your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

It is rare to have the MR come undone, especially at 10 weeks

Thank you for the question and excellent photos.  I know that it does not provide and comfort to state what you have experienced is very rare.  However, we should assume that your tissue are the same as everyone else and therefore your risk of having the MR come undone should be the same---low.  Its hard to know what occurred inside especially so far out from surgery.  At 10 weeks you should be healed and the suture should not really be needed.  I use a looped nylon (permanent) suture.  It is very strong, does not go away, and with only one knot near the pubic bone it has a lower chance of breaking.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Protruding upper abdomen after tearing repair

From your photographs, you have torn the suture repair of your fascia from your belly button up.  This occurred because increased intra-abdominal pressure exceeded the tensile strength of the sutures or your fascia.  You will need a repair again with either a heavier suture or possible mesh reinforcement.  The mesh would decrease your recurrence rate and I highly recommend it.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon