8 wks po from FTT and lipo with protrusions on left and right sides. Doctor said this would flatten with compression? (photo)

I am 8 wks po from a FTT and lipo of the flanks. Since day 1 I have had this protrusion of what appears to be muscle on the left side. also very slight on the right side. I have addressed this with the doctor and the nurse when I had my second drain removed 14 days post op. I was told this would flatten out with compression. I have worn my compression garment faithfully but the protrusion shows no sign of receding. What is this? Can it be fixed?

Skin folds following tummy tuck.

+1

This appears to be a pleating or skin fold after your tummy tuck. Although 2 months seems like a long time, I would give this at least 6 months before contemplating a revision. These can sometimes occur from internal sutures (either muscle plication or progressive tension sutures).

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bands 8 weeks post tummy tuck

+1

It is unlikely that the folds that you are concerned about will resolve over time sufficiently that you would not need a revision. Nevertheless, you are only 8 weeks postoperative - a point in time that is far from full maturation of the tissue healing. Give this around 6 months and if it persists, then pursuing a revision may be warranted.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Traction Lines

+1

These lines may or may not resolve with time.  Massage and endermologie may help.  I recommend waiting for a few more months to see if they will flatten on their own.  If not, revision is not that complicated to release the tension lines.

Donald Griffin, MD

Tummy Tuck Revision not Appropriate until adequate time has passed

+1

Hi there-

While I can definitely see why you are concerned, I would not pursue any revision until you can be confident that this will not improve on its own- which would require 3-6 months.

Follow all of your surgeon's instructions carefully and make sure not to miss any appointments.

After this time period, if the area still bothers you, discuss it with him again.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Irregular folds following tummy tuck

+1

these look like folds of skin..  they may resolve with time..  i would not re operate for at least 6 mos..  consider endermologie or ultrasound

Do I Need a Tummy Tuck Revision? (photo)

+1

To me it appears based upon the posted photos that the dissection laterally was very limited. So now you have "traction" lines due to the adherence of the skin/fat flap to the underlying fascia/muscle. Only additional surgery can release this. Sorry

Tummy tuck revision should wait

+1

The bulges on the photo are most likely traction lines from the skin pull after your tummy tuck, and are not muscle bulges. This can be caused by how the skin was raised or sutured, or by the muscle plication. Revision should wait as the skin may relax and the 'folds' smooth out over the next six months or longer.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Linear Skin Flap Indentations After A Tummy Tuck

+1

What you have are skin irregularities not visible muscle edges after your tummy tuck. These are due to the limited lateral extent of the abdominal flap underlining and the amount of pull to bring the flap down and close it during the procedure. That is why they are linear and exist on both sides.  It is possible that they may represent seromas but I doubt it.  Whether these will go away with more time is unknown but it is way too early to know for sure. These need a full six months to see how much improvement will occur on their own.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tummy tuck revision

+1
At eight weeks postop, it is still too early to determine whether a revision is required. Additionally, a muscle bulge can only be elucidated by physical examination. You should give the abdomen more time in which to heal and discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy Tuck Revision?

+1

You aren't very far out from surgery. It can take 3-6 months before all the swelling subsides.  I don't even take after pictures until someone is at least six months post-op.  I would talk to your surgeon about your concerns in another month or two. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD