Tummy Tuck Revision?

I am 5'6", 115 lbs., had a mommy makeover 3 months ago after 2 c-sections. I am not happy with the size of my belly, it still looks much like the one I had. I asked my PS to avoid the anchor-type scar if she could but to do what she thought it was best. She removed close to 2" from my lower abdomen and my muscles were tightened (I feel the stitches all the way up to my ribs). I now have a horizontal lump right above my belly button. Is a revision necessary with an anchor-type scar? Thanks!

Advise to Wait on the Revise

+3

Tummy tuck revisions can be done but I would wait at least six months.  There still appears to be some laxity of your tummy wall. This is not the same as laxity of your skin which is completely normal.   I do not think adding a vertical incision is the answer in your case.  A tincture of time and if no improvement revisit with your surgeon.

Tummy tuck revision

+3

It sounds like you are wanting more skin removed, and possibly even more tightening of your abdominal wall. This would require a full tummy tuck with additional muscle tightening.  Discuss your wishes and concerns with your plastic surgeon. It might be that you will have to have a small scar at the lower abdomen if there is not enough upper abdominal skin. However, your skin looks very elastic so you might be able to avoid that. In certain instances I have had to sit the patient up at 50 to 60 degrees to get all the skin off including the old belly button site. The hole made for the new belly button should be as small as possible to avoid seeing the scar around the new one.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Revision after Mommy Makeover

+2

Yes, revision tummy tucks can be performed but I advise patients to wait 8-12 months before considering a revision.  It also looks like you may need to have tightening of your abdominal muscles.  Whether you need a vertical incision or not will depend on how much extra skin you have. I perform lots of revision tummy tucks on patients and each case is a bit different.  Discuss your concerns / wants with your surgeon.