Tummy Tuck Revision?

I am 5'6", 115 lbs., had a mommy makeover 3 months ago after 2 c-sections. I am not happy with the size of my belly, it still looks much like the one I had. I asked my PS to avoid the anchor-type scar if she could but to do what she thought it was best. She removed close to 2" from my lower abdomen and my muscles were tightened (I feel the stitches all the way up to my ribs). I now have a horizontal lump right above my belly button. Is a revision necessary with an anchor-type scar? Thanks!

Advise to Wait on the Revise

Tummy tuck revisions can be done but I would wait at least six months.  There still appears to be some laxity of your tummy wall. This is not the same as laxity of your skin which is completely normal.   I do not think adding a vertical incision is the answer in your case.  A tincture of time and if no improvement revisit with your surgeon.

Tummy tuck revision

It sounds like you are wanting more skin removed, and possibly even more tightening of your abdominal wall. This would require a full tummy tuck with additional muscle tightening.  Discuss your wishes and concerns with your plastic surgeon. It might be that you will have to have a small scar at the lower abdomen if there is not enough upper abdominal skin. However, your skin looks very elastic so you might be able to avoid that. In certain instances I have had to sit the patient up at 50 to 60 degrees to get all the skin off including the old belly button site. The hole made for the new belly button should be as small as possible to avoid seeing the scar around the new one.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Revision after Mommy Makeover

Yes, revision tummy tucks can be performed but I advise patients to wait 8-12 months before considering a revision.  It also looks like you may need to have tightening of your abdominal muscles.  Whether you need a vertical incision or not will depend on how much extra skin you have. I perform lots of revision tummy tucks on patients and each case is a bit different.  Discuss your concerns / wants with your surgeon. 

Wait 6-9 Months Before Revision.

Although your pictures are helpful it’s virtually impossible to make a specific recommendation without performing a physical examination.Furthermore, it’s still relatively early in the post-operative course and significant changes may still occur.For this reason it’s important to wait 6-9 months before considering revisional surgery.
Your current pictures suggest the presence of loose skin beneath your umbilicus and continued weakness of the underlying muscles.Correction of this deformity will probably require a full abdominoplasty with tightening of the underlying muscles.In addition, a small vertical incision will be necessary to close the umbilical transposition site.
It’s important that you thoroughly discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.Your plastic surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.