Should I Have a Tummy Tuck Revision?

I had a FTT in July 2010. I had a seroma after the drains were removed. It was drained by needle aspiration x 3 weeks. Then I developed an abscess that had to be I&D'd. Now I have a bulge right above the incision and I'm scheduled for a abdominalplasty and flank lipectomy at the end of this week. Just curious if it's worth it. I don't want anymore complications and wondering what could have caused the bulge. My weight has stayed the same. No more than a -5 pound difference.

--

Update: Recently I posted a question as to whether or not I should have a tummy tuck revision as well as lipo to my flanks and back. Several MD's responded with great advice. I went ahead with the procedure on 6/10 and so far happy with results. Thank you so much for your time and advice. It is greatly appreciated and nice to be able to get a second opinion when you have had a long surgical journey such as mine and are anxious to go under the knife yet again.

Tummy tuck revision after seroma and abscess

+2

Thank you for the photos. You have a bulge just above your suprapubic incision and it is difficult to know without an examination if this is residual fat or you developed a bursa (a pocket where the seroma was and this prevented the abdominal flap from healing down to the fascia or muscle cover. If it is excess fat, than simple liposuction will correct the problem. If it is a serous pocket, than you would need the incision opened up partially, the lining of the seroma pocket removed, or scored to create raw surfaces to promote adhesion and healing. I would suggest liposuction of your flanks as well to better define your waist line. Good luck.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Reasons to undergo a tummy tuck revision with liposuction rather than scar revision

+1

Tummy tuck liposuction is a procedure that has become more and more common in my Beverly Hills plastic surgery practice.  Patients who have undergone a tummy tuck by another surgeon may wish to have certain parts of their tummy tuck corrected.  In this particular case, i would recommend a tailored liposuction sculpting procedure to improve contour without invasive surgery.  

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Revision Tummy Tuck

+1

I hope your second surgery went well and that you are happy with the results.  Make sure you give yourself time to heal.

Best Wishes!

Tummy Tuck Revision?

+1

Prior to the year 2010, my answer would have been yes. Today, I perform a drainless tummy tuck procedure called progressive tension abdominoplasty. This approach to a tummy tuck as you can see requires no drains. In someone who had a seroma in the past, I would use this approach since the old approach did't work. If your surgeon is versed in this new technique you should have your revision. The drainless approach eliminates the dead space under the flap and although it is not a sure fire way to avoid seromas I have not seen one since I have started this technique.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

You will get better result with revision

+1

You have extra fatty tissue and scar over the incision line. The scar is pulled down and will need revision. You will need liposuction and scar revision .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck revision can be worth it

+1

The extra bulge is a rounding up of the lower flap from the seroma, and will do very nicely with revision of the scar and removal of the small remaining skin excess. The risk of complication is much lower by comparison and the improvement in contour for the relatively small effort will be worth the revision.

peterejohnsonmd

Scar revision after tummy tuck

+1

The infection could have caused some scar tissue which can contract resulting in your bulge. I believe you could use a revision of your tummy tuck scar, and possibly some liposuction of the lower abdomen and flanks. I am not sure that a flankplasty would be of much benefit. As mentioned, you need to go over this thoroughly with your surgeon.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Should I Have a Tummy Tuck Revision?

+1

Based upon your posted photos I would recommend a revision of the scar. Either under local anesthesia or local + sedation. Best of luck. 

Revision abdominoplasty

+1

Seromas are, unfortunately, a not uncommon problem after abdominoplasty.

It appears you are a good candidate for a revision, and it should be a much lesser operation than your original surgery.

Do you need a flankplasty?  Usually that would be reserved for loose skin in the flank area, where you do not appear to have much loose skin.  Discuss carefully with your surgeon.

You might benefit from liposuction in a few spots as well.

Brent Moelleken, MD