Tummy Tuck Revision Using Mesh

5'1" 112lbs I had a full tummy tuck with muscle repair 14 mos. ago. My tummy still measures the same if not more than it did preop! Weigh 5lb+ less now, and dr. says there is very little belly fat.

He thinks my skin/fascia just isn't holding. Same problem with my breasts post aug/lift. Had a breast revision to remove excess skin/bottoming out 7 months ago and they again need a revision!

When laying belly is flat, and when I raise my legs it tightens all over w/ bulges on sides.

Results not holding up

+2

I would agree that it is uncommon problem.  In looking at your pictures, and by your description, I would say that your belly problem is largely from laxity of the abdominal wall.  Usually if the sutures aren't holding, there is a specific area of weakness as most of us place multiple sutures to repair the muscle rather than one continuous to avoid this problem.  The fact that you "bulge on the side" may mean that your diastasis repair (tightening the muscles in the midline) is holding up but the outer wall is weak and left uncorrected.  This would be a rare occurrence; however, it may benefit from mesh support (much like a hernia).  I would proceed with caution if you choose this route as this can be a large, unpredictable event and a difficult problem to correct. 

Regarding the breast, it appears as though your implants are "bottoming out" somewhat early.  This may be corrected by reducing the areola and reinforcing the internal capsule, possibly with mesh or other substances, to help keep the implants in correct position.

With any plastic surgery there comes an element of unpredictability.  However, I would talk this over with your surgeon and make a definitive plan that you both feel comfortable with before proceeding with any more revisions.  I wish you the best. 

Little Rock Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck revision with mesh

+2

When the muscular fascia repair of a tummy tuck fails it can be due to a number of things. Failure to recognize intra-abdominal fat may be one cause. The other would be weak fascia (layer covering muscle) that gives way. If the latter is the case, then at times we can reinforce this with a mesh to lay on top. The former cannot be changed surgically. Relapse following breast lift can occur. There are technical things we can do to try and prevent this from happening. It would be important to know how your original procedure was done. It might be worth getting another opinion about your options.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Revision of a tummy tuck

+1

You do look like you have rather poor elasticity based on the tummy and the breasts.  This may well be why you are having the problems you are having.  It is rare though to need to redo the tummy and so I'd be sure you are in the hands of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon before proceeding with another revision.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS