When Would Tummy Tuck Revision Be Impossible?

It's been 7 months since my full tummy tuck w/ lipo on flanks. Very happy with results except for a few complaints. My tummy tuck scar, belly button and mons seem too high, my mons has sort of a "Ken Doll" bulge now, and my stomach is really tight...

Can this be fixed? What are my options? I don't know how revision would be possible because it doesn't seem like I have any more skin to pull down... are there ever situations where a tummy tuck revision isn't possible at all?

Tummy tuck revisions are possible but must be properly timed.

+5

Your abdomen is still actively healing, so I would caution against any revision at the present time.  The scar can be lowered somewhat but this should be delayed until swelling is completely resolved. 

When to revise an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)

+5

Thanks for your question -

There are multiple things you can do to address some of your concerns. Liposuction can be performed to reduce the mons bulge.

The level of the incision can be lowered but you need to wait an adequate amount of time to allow the tightness of the abdominal skin to loosen somewhat and the scar tissue to mature.

Depending on the pedicle length of your belly button this can be lowered somewhat as well.

The real key here is allowing enough time to heal and discussing your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Be wary of any tummy tuck revision

+5

Your abdomen appears to be quite tight, without excess skin. Although lowering the position of the belly button is possible, it would result in a scar above the current position. In addition, it would be very difficult if not impossible to lower the existing transverse scar.

The scar ended up high because your surgeon wanted to avoid a vertical scar as well as the transverse. Be patient and seek many opinions before you consider a revision.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Revisions

+5

The good news is that your tummy tuck results can be fixed. I agree with your concerns: the transverse scar and belly-button appear too high and the mons is too full. I would recommend you start planning a revision in 3 to 5 months. The revision would include liposuction the mons and lowering the belly-button and transverse scar. I also recommend that your tummy tuck revision be performed by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck revision.

+3

The good news is that you are able to get this fixed. I usually encourange patients to wait one year post surgery before they have any revisions done. I would advise you to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in the tummy tuck procedure.

Jaime Perez, MD

Tummy tuck revision

+3

Yes, you may be a good candidate for tummy tuck revision. What the revision would involve  depends on what areas/issues are concerning you.

Common areas of concern would be the placement of scar (scar may be able to be lowered), areas of isolated  adipose tissue on the abdomen or pubic area ( which can be treated with liposuction),  or the presence of redundant skin ( which can be treated with further excision).

Sometimes patients are concerned about additional skin and adipose tissue along the flanks ("muffin top") or back areas. This can be treated with additional skin and adipose tissue excision. This would involve extending the contest incision to the sides and back area.

Lowering a high tummy tuck scar

+3

Depending on how much distress this causes you, there are options. As others mentioned you will experience laxity with time and could undergo a revision in several years. Alternatively, if you are significantly distraught, you could undergo placement of tissue expanders to stretch the skin followed by lowering of the scar. However, this is a very drastic approach and not generally recommended

Tummy Tuck Revision

+3

Thank you for providing photographs. At first glance, your scar seems a bit high and quite horizontal. Given the description that the skin is very tight, removing more skin is not an option unless you gain some laxity. Moving the belly button is possible but will leave an additional scar on your abdomen. For the mons, liposuction can usually improve the bulge after a tummy tuck. Regardless, give yourself a full year before considering a revision.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Revision of a tummy tuck

+3

In order to revise your TT you need some laxity to work with and yet you feel tight.  So you need to give it more time until some looseness develops that can be adjusted.  Perhaps in the meantime some liposuction of the mons might help.  Your scar is unusually high and horizontal but really can't be moved down much at all.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Timing of Tummy Tuck Re-Do

+3

I agree your Tummy Tuck scar is a bit high. I like to place my scar within the confines of my patients preferred Victoria's Secret underwear.  In your case, I would wait as long as you can stand it, preferably a year for the tissues to completely soften before contemplating any surgery. I would recommend you have liposuction first to bring down the inflated Mons pubis as well as your hips and lower tummy. This may improve things sufficiently. If not, only then would I recommend you attempt lowering the scar.