Tummy Tuck Revision for Excess Skin on Incision?

I think I might need revision on the sides, where the incision end on each side. There is a slight overhang of fleshy skin.

I was advised by my doctor to use expression compression so I am wearing my compression garment plus another compression garment that looks like a wide belt or back brace. It is helping with the discomfort but not the excess skin. Suggestions?

Wait 6 months and then have Tummy Tuck revision if needed

+1

By waiting the 6 months after Tummy Tuck, you will give the skin a chance to have the maximal improvement. If the skin overhang is still there after 6 months it is safe to say it will not go away on it's own. In that case, your doctor should be able to do a small excision of the excess skin, typically with straight local anesthesia. Hope this helps!

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Dogears

+1

We often call the little bulges at the end of the incision "dogears" since they tend to point up like their namesake. Many times these will resolve themselves spontaneously over the first six months. If they don't, you may need to have them excised. This can often be done in the office under local anesthesia. Good luck

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Dog ear after abdominoplasty

+1

It sounds as though you are describing a "dog ear", or small redundancy of skin. As the surgeon closes the incision after an abdominoplasty, the least tensions is at the lateral edges of the incision. The surgeon tries to fit and upper and lower skin edges together and keep the incision as short as possible. Sometimes, in an attempt to help the patient, a small excess of skin is left (not visible on the operating table) that becomes manifest as a projection of skin and fat. It looks a bit like the ear of a dog and thus the term "dogear".

Treatment for the problem is surgical removal. It requires extending the incision further to allow for removal of the surplus skin. Most of the time it is a trivial procedure performed under local anesthesia.