Tummy Tuck Revision?! Now Have a Bigger Pooch Than Before. What Went Wrong? (photO)

I had a tummy tuck done 1 year ago and I am very dissapointed. I did not know I'd have the scar going upward and I still have a pouch. I originally did not have much skin or fat but now I have a pooch that I didn't have before. Doctor never returned my call for revision nor his patient coordinator. What can be done about this? Revision?

Revision of an abdominoplasty

+1

It is hard to understand why you can not contact your plastic surgeon.  You would benefit from a revision of your abdominoplasty with skin excision below the umbilicus and liposuction.  You may even need a repair of the anterior abdominal wall fascia.  

Reasons to undergo a tummy tuck revision for swelling on the abdomen

+1

I perform many tummy tuck revisions.  The bulge can be caused by either excess fat or a loosening of the rectus muscle repair in the midline. You may need some sort of revision surgery. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Unsatisfactory results after Tummy Tuck

+1

First of all, I can give you possible explanations about why you see what you see. The vertically oriented scar at the bottom is typically the result of needing some extra length on the upper abdominal skin flap in order to close the incision at the time of surgery. I always explain the possibility of this extra scar to patients who are at risk, meaning they have relatively tight skin and not a lot of skin excess), AHEAD of time so there are no surprises. One year out, most of the swelling should be resolved. Sometimes you can see fullness in the lower abdominal area related to the initial fatty layer thickness that was in the upper abdominal area that was there before surgery. If it was on the thick side, or conversely if the pubic area thickness was very thin, sometimes you can see a step-off or discrepancy when a thicker layer of fat is sutured to a thinner layer of fat. Unfortunately, there is not a reliably safe way to thin the upper central abdominal fatty layer at the time of abdominoplasty as it can risk a decrease in circulation to the healing incision. The good news is that it looks like the appearance can be improved by a second stage liposuction procedure and scar revision to remove that vertical scar. Don't expect that for free though, all patients are expected to pay for additional surgery that may include liposuction of the central abdominal area.  Hope that helps!

Hayley Brown, MD

Unhappy with TT results...

+1

Why is your surgeon not returning your call?  You have rights as a patient and if they refuse to communicate with you, you may have cause for pursuing legal action.  And if they refuse to see you, get a second opinion.  Revisions can be done to improve your results.  As for your results themselves, they are not bad and have to be an improvement over where you started but your results can be better.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy Tuck Revision?! Now Have a Bigger Pooch Than Before. What Went Wrong?

+1

Best to seek IN PERSON second opinions. Lipo might help but over the internet very hard to determine. 

Revision Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Roddyk,  Sometimes with any surgical procedure a revision may be needed no matter how well or precisely the original surgery was performed.  This is because every patient's skin and soft tissues will behave and respond differently to the changes due to surgery.  After one year, your tissues and skin have reached the point where very little change is still to come and a revision is something to consider.  Usually this can be performed under local anesthesia with a fairly quick recovery.  Of course it is best if you can have your revision performed by the surgeon who performed your original procedure but if that is not possible, please select a plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Beware of false credentials, the key is board-certification.  Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1

A significant amount of skin and fat was removed to get to the appearance you have now.  However, there will always be some laxity and relaxation of tissues with time.  A revision can be performed to remove additional skin and fat and the vertical limb.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and tummy tuck revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA