Tummy Tuck Result Expectation? (photo)

I've had 2 lipo surgeries on my stomach and had a child. The child left me with stretch marks, a c-section scar and some loose skin. I am so upset about the "landscape" of my stomach after lipo... I have a ton of lumps and craters, horrible asymmetry and deformation. Since my c-section, my scar has healed beautifully it makes me think that although a TT scar will be wider, it might heal just as great. Will a TT fix the "landscape" of my stomach (I know it will remove loose skin) I want NO lumps!!

Tummy tuck after liposuction is possible

+2

I would first recommend that you not only see a board certified plastic surgeon, but one that specializes in body contouring.  You have a very difficult problem and NO, you will not be able to eliminate all your bumps and irregularities!  Your previous liposuction procedures have left you with unevenness (peaks and valleys), scar tissue and a lack of any "curves".

An attractive women's silhouette has nice curves around the stomach, hips and thighs, your figure is a straight line. Your belly button is very high placed and you are long waisted.  On a good note, your C-Section scar healed beautifully without any hypertrophic scarring.

The first question to ask is if you are planning on having any more children?  If you are not sterile or if you are planning on more pregnancies than I would NOT recommend a tummy tuck yet, wait until you permanently fixed.  If you would undergo a tummy tuck and than become pregnant, all the benefits will be lost.  Also, if you are a smoker I would not recommend a tummy tuck either, the incidence of skin slough and poor wound healing is too high in smokers.

If you do decide on a tummy tuck, based on the limited photos and your history I would recommend the following:

1. Abdominoplasty with an umbilical float
  2. Lipoplasty to the flanks/lumbar area
  3. Plication of the Rectus Abdominus Muscle
  4. Direct visual excision of the remaining fat below Scarpa's fascia on the upper abdomen
  5. A series of post op (5-10) Endermologie treatments

This approach will give you a much improved abdominal contour, curves, a lower belly button (without a belly button scar or a vertical scar) and a low placed scar.

Good Luck!

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Irregularities after liposuction

+1

can be improved but perfection would be difficult.  I'm sorry you had a poor experience but if you sought an aggressive procedure, that is what results from that... the peaks and valleys mentioned by someone else.  A tuck can help tighten the skin and spot liposuction could reduce the areas of excess but having perfection would be an elusive goal.  See a plastic surgeon who has the experience and judgment to help your get closer to your goals.  Good luck!

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy tuck after c-section and liposuction

+1

I would have to examine you to determine the amount of extra skin that you have to make sure you could safely have a tummy tuck.  Provided that you did, the tummy tuck should fix a lot (but likely not all) of the contour irregularities from your baby and previous surgery.  

Sacha Obaid, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

You need to have abdominal wall tightening and a skin rescection. The irregularities can also be corrected at this time

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck after lipo can be difficult

+1

Every surgical procedure including liposuction can produce scarring, and in the case of lipo the scars are in the layer where the fat used to be. The tissue may be less elastic for that reason, making it difficult to get it to stretch smoothly with the tummy tuck. This is typically more of a problem with laser lipo than with traditional lipo. While no one can offer specific advie without seeing you personally, the photo seems to show a high position of the belly button which should be taken into account with the tummy tuck plan.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy Tuck after lipo

+1

I think you'd achieve a worthwhile result from a tummy tuck but you are a difficult case.

The main issue is that the area which has had liposuction is scarred underneath, and just doesn't stretch out nicely as unscarred skin would during a tt.  It can be released, and the scar contractors released from underneath during the procedure, but it may not look completely smooth.

I think you have a rectus diastasis which if repaired will improve your contour, and your waist can be thinned by waist and flank lipo during a tt.

So overall I think it will most likely be worthwhile, whilst making it clear that residual imperfections might be visible in the area of the lipo damage.

All the very best.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

A tummy tuck is the best option for you now. The lumpiness you have is most likely due to liposuction in an area of skin laxity.

Although the tummy tuck may get rid of all of your lumps, you could still have some mild contour problems afterwards.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after Abdominal Liposuction

+1

Liposuction alone is almost never indicated for someone with significant excess skin in the abdomen as it appears is your case. What you need is totally dependent on the quality of the liposuction that you have had. If the irregularity is purely the result of the folding of the excess skin, then an abdominoplasty alone (perhaps with a little liposuction at the flanks) may be all you need. If, however, the liposuction left you uneven in addition to the folding of the extra skin, then you will need a tummy tuck and more liposuction (and, perhaps, fat reinjection) to even the abdomen. Only an experienced plastic surgeon can determine this. Make sure that whomever you see is Board Certified and has significant experience in both liposuction and abdominoplasty.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Not so happy

+1

I would hesitate to judge the quality or training of your surgeon, however, I can see why you are not happy.  Just looking at your pictures, I would think that you are not an optimal TT patient.  You have what I would describe as a "boxy abdomen" and while tightening the central abdomen and lateral flanks...your contour would show only mild improvement. 

Your major concern is your lipo results and I would guess that will be a challanging procedure.  Touch up lipo by a qualified person may be the best option at this point.  I suppose that a TT would help, it has some significant downsides (not the least of which is the cost) and I suspect you will only be "sorta happy". 

K. Dwayne Fulks, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

Can a tummy tuck fix my liposuction results?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. You have a suboptimal result from your liposuction. I venture to guess that your surgeon was not a board certified plastic surgeon and most likely used the Smartlipo on you. Many "wannabees" think that the machine will overcome their poor training and will do the thinking and surgical judgement for them. He or she also told ypou that you do not need a tummy tuck, they can do better with their magic machine. Usually this is the result, and I see more and more people presenting just like you for correction of the poor outcome. Yes, an abdominoplasty will help improve this. I use the VASER to release the skin in the periumbilical area and melt the scarred irregular fat pockets. You will need muscle plication and liposuction of your back, hips and waist line at the same time to get your feminine shape back. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation/evaluation. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon