Can a Tummy Tuck Remove Stretch Marks on Hips?

After I had my son I was covered in stretch marks. The ones on my stomach are either at or under the level of my belly button and wrap around both my love handles and a couple are on my back. I'm considering getting a tummy tuck to remove the ones on my stomach and I also want the ones on my hips removed but wasn't sure if that was possible. So my question is would a tummy tuck work on removing my stretch marks from my hips or should I consider lazer removal or possibly a skin graft?

Stretch Marks on Hips

+1

Lasers have minimal and unpredictable benefits for stretch marks. The standard tummy tuck may remove some of the stretch marks but not all of them. For greater improvement of the stretch marks, the tummy tuck procedure can be altered to provide additional skin excision.

Stretch marks

+1

Lasers wil not make the stretch marks disappear.  I have not been satisfied with the results of the lasers.  If the strech marks are in ellipse removed with a tummy tuck then they will be gone.

Can a tummy tuck remove stretch marks in the hip area

+1

A tummy tuck can remove some of the stretch marks in the hip area but not a lot of them.  The incision can be extended laterally (to the side) to include some more of the loose skin in the hip area and subsequently remove some more of those stretch marks.  If you have significant loose skin of the lower abdomen and hip area, you may be a candidate for a lower body lift procedure where the incision extends all the way around your waist area (circumferentially) to remove even more skin. This may not only remove more of your streth marks in the hip area but also give you a better overall contour.

This is difficult to answer without examining you, so I would recommend consulting with one or more board certified plastic surgeons experienced in body contouring to give you a comperehensive exam and revie your surgical options.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy Tuck Operation

+1

Women who have stretch marks below the belly button usually find that the marks are gone with removal of extra skin in this area.  A tummy tuck scar is from hip to hip and does not reach to the back of the patient.  If you desire removal of stretch marks in this area and have plenty of loose skin then a body lift may help.    The skin above the belly button can only stretch down to the pubic area and if you have stretch marks above the belly button the stretch marks look better but do not go away.  There are many laser machines that help with stretch marks but this takes time and many treatments.  My clients find a big improvement in the tummy area and are very happy with the result.

John Ward, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Modifications of the Tummy Tuck Technique

+1

Hi there-

Depending on your exact anatomy, the standard tummy tuck can be effectively modified to remove a bit more skin in the hip area. 

It is also possible that you would benefit from a body lift type procedure, in which skin is removed from the back of your torso in addition to the front.

The best way to know for sure is to find a well trained, experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon you like and feel you can trust and visit for a consultation.

How to find such a surgeon? Please read this:

Armando Soto, MD

Stretch marks on hips

+1

The scars from skin grafting are much worse than stretch marks themselves, and so might the scar on your hips from "extended" abdominoplasty, besides the masculinizing effect this extension may have on your figure.  Sure, stretch marks can be cut out, but that's like burning down the house to get rid of termites.  Sometimes, the trade off is not worth it.  Consider accepting them as a natural consequence of the pregnancies that developed your beautiful child/children, and realize they will fade into the background with attention getting colors and styles of clothing/swimsuits/lingerie.  Few people notice a stretch mark when the underlying body is hot, and the swimsuit or lingerie even hotter.  Consider camouflage cosmetics also, used in a timely and judicious manner, such as Linda Seidel's Body Stick.

Steve Laverson, MD

Laser or skin graft are not for stretch marks

+1

You may benefit from a circumferential belt lipectomy. Discuss this with your surgeon. This can be completed in one procedure whereas other physicians prefer to perform tow separate procedures (front and back).

Stretch mark removal

+1

An abominoplasty is a wonderful operation to remove the stretch marks present on your abdomen and can be extended to address the stretch marks present on the hips. A lower body lift is a circumferential extension of the abdominoplasty to improve the appearance of the outer thigh and lift the buttocks while removing the stretch marks in those areas.

These are the best procedures to permanently remove stretch marks. Light and energy based technologies may improve the appearance of the stretch marks but they will never be imperceptible or completely corrected by the current technologies.

Skin grafting is a poor solution for stretch marks and is reserved for wound healing or reconstructive situations.

Good luck. I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Lower Body Lift will Remove Hip Stretch Marks

+1

I agree trhat an extended tummy tuck can possibly remove some of the stretch marks from your hips.  However, if you have stretch marks on your back as well, you might consider a lower body lift, especially if you have skin excess in these areas.  This is a big operation and you should check with your plastic surgeon to see if you are a candidate.

John Whitt, MD

Stretch marks over the hips MAY be removed with a tummy tuck

+1

First, laser treatments will not remove stretch marks.  They can only fade dark stretch marks. If yours are already pale and soft, that's as good as they'll get.  I would never consider a skin graft as a viable treatment for stretch marks either, as you would now have a donor site scar.

The good news is that a tummy tuck (extending far laterally on both sides) may remove many of your stretch marks over your hips.  You are trading some of those stretch marks for a longer tummy tuck scar.  Be sure to discuss with your surgeon exactly what you hope to accomplish--she will tell you if it's possible or not.  Good luck!

Carmen Kavali, MD