Will a Tummy Tuck Remove Stretch Marks on African American Skin?

I have had two children within the last four years.I don't plan to have anymore I've been left with these unsightly stretch marks.I am in the process of losing weight and would like to know whether once I reach my goal weight,a tummy tuck be efficient and removing these marks?

Stretch Marks

+3

You will get the best result if you are at your ideal weight. Usually all of the stretch marks between y our pubis and belly button will be removed. Those above the belly button will be pulled down.

Tummy tuck and stretch mark removal

+1

Tummy tuck surgery will remove the skin of the abdomen below the belly button, so whatever stretch marks you have in that area will be gone. Stretch marks in the upper abdomen and sides may become less obvious as the skin is tightened. Achieving your ideal weight prior to surgery is advisable for best results.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Stretch marks

+1

A tummy tuck can remove stretch marks in the lower abdomen.  During your consultation your plastic surgeon will review the excess skin that will be removed during your procedure.  If the excess skin has stretch marks then these stretch marks wil be removed.

David Bray, Jr, MD

Stretch Marks & Tummy Tuck

+1

It appears that most of your stretch marks are located at and below the level of your umbilicus.  Most of the stretch marks in these areas are removed with a full tummy tuck and the remainder are transferred to a lower abdominal location.  This is true in African-American skin as well as Caucasian.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tuck and stretch marks on African American skin

+1

During a tummy tuck procedure the skin between the belly button and just above the hairline on the pubic area is removed. So if your stretch marks are there they will be removed, however any stretch marks outside that area will remain but may be less visible because of the skin tightening. 

Best  of luck!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Stretch Marks and Tummy Tuck

+1

Good question.  Yes, all of the skin between your belly button and your pubis will be removed during surgery.  The loose skin above your belly button will be tightened, so the appearance of the remaining skin will also be significantly improved.  With more photos or seeing you in person, we can give you more specific advice.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Stretch mark removal after Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on the photo and information you provided, you appear to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck procedure.  Reaching your ideal weight prior to proceeding with surgery would be inyour best interst to hekp avoid additional surgery and to obtain the best results possible.  I have performed tummy tucks on a number of African American patients.  A large number (but not necessarily all) of the stretchmarks will be removed.  A tummy tuck procedure involves repair of the muscles (stretched from pregnancy) and removal of any excess, loose skin.  the incision is placed as low as possible and planned to be hidden under undergarments/ bathingsuit.