Will a Tummy Tuck Remove an Abdominal Adhesion?

I had a c-section 8 months ago and have a large adhesion on my lower abdominal wall now. It causes me a lot of pain but cannot be removed through a laparoscopy due to its size. Would a tummy tuck remove this?

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) corrects skin-muscle adhesions but not organ or pelvic intra-abdominal adhesions

+1

Adhesions, from a medical standpoint, refer to scar bands inside the abdominal or pelvic cavity. However, we also refer to adhesions of the skin to the underlying muscle (which is outside the abdominal cavity). A tummy tuck will remove the latter and not the former. Pardon the simple analogy but it is like looking at your bed, tightening the sheets may remove the folds and wrinkles but it won't correct a lumpy mattress.

A Tummy Tuck will NOT correct an intra-abdominal adhesion

+1

Regarding : "I had a c-section 8 months ago and have a large adhesion on my lower abdominal wall now. It causes me a lot of pain but cannot be removed through a laparoscopy due to its size".

Every intra-abdominal operation can result in scar bands between the inside organs and themselves or the outside wall of the abdomen. These adhesions can have no symptoms or be associated with bowel obstruction or discomfort. If symptomatic the idea treatment is LYSIS OF ADHESIONS which is these days done endoscopically. I would get a second opinion on this since endoscopic skill varies between surgeon. Opening the tummy and separating adhesions is the classic way of doing it but often results in newer adhesions elsewhere.

A Tummy Tuck does NOT enter the abdominal cavity and cannot free these adhesions. Good Luck.

Tummy tuck and adhesions

+1

Adhesions usually refer to bowel that is caught by a fibrinous connective tissue layer from intra-abdominal surgery. The only way to take down painful adhesions is to perform an open abdominal procedure. This is performed by a general surgeon.

Tummy tuck

+1

Adhesions are areas where the bowles are stuck together or to the inside of the abdominal wall. Tummy Tuck does not go to the inside of the abdomen, and will not deal with adhesions. Adhesions will be done by a general surgeon, tummt tuck done by a plastic surgeon.

You may ask your surgeons if they would do both surgeries at the same time. In that case the abdomen is opened by the plastic surgeon as in tummy tuck incision. The general surgeon the will lyse the adhesions. If all goes well and the bowles is not entered then you can proceed with the tummy tuck