Tummy Tuck for Removal of Stretch Marks

I'm considering a tummy tuck with lipo to remove stretch marks from pregnancy in January 2011 I'm 26 with one child and no intentions of having anymore children I'm 5'7 and 172lbs with a medium frame I'm a little over weight for my height and will definitely try dropping most if not all b4 surgery..what are the relistic results after the procedure? Will I be able to finally wear a bikini for summer 2011?

Tummy tuck for stretch marks

+2

It appears you would be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck.  The stretch marks both above and below the belly button will likely be much less visible, and many will be gone.

Talk realistically with your prospective board certified plastic surgeon about not where the incision will be made, but where it will end up.

Although in your particular case a full tummy tuck appears to be the best option, there are many more options now than just a full or a mini tummy tuck, for all those patients "in between" needing either of those procedures.

Then you will not be disappointed about the location of the incision.  Remember, the incision that you end up with is often half way between where the top incision and the botton incisions are made.  Many patients assume that the final incision will end up where the bottom incision is made.  This is not the case and can lead to disappointment with the procedure.

For well counseled patients, tummy tucks have one of the highest satisfaction rates of any procedure. 

Careful surgeons will produce a vibrant appearing, well textured abdomen.  Look carefully at many pictures at fine details to make sure it is the type of quality work you like.

Tummy tuck and stretch marks

+1

You look like you are probably a good candidate for a tummy tuck based upon the photo that you display. The stretch marks usually within an ellipse from  the umbilicus down to the pubis would be removed.  All others would remain.

A tummy tuck works well to remove stretch marks

+1

A tummy tuck is best indicated for those with stretch marks in the lower abdomen. You always be at your usual weight at the time of surgery. Don't drop weight for the surgery and then regain it after. Looks like you would be a great candidate for the surgery.

Michael Weinberg, MD

Tummy Tuck Removal of Stretch Marks

+1

Regarding: "Tummy Tuck for Removal of Stretch Marks    I'm considering a tummy tuck with lipo to remove stretch marks from pregnancy in January 2011 I'm 26 with one child and no intentions of having anymore children I'm 5'7 and 172lbs with a medium frame I'm a little over weight for my height and will definitely try dropping most if not all b4 surgery..what are the relistic results after the procedure? Will I be able to finally wear a bikini for summer 2011?"

The BEST way to go about getting the figure you always wanted after pregnancy is to stabilize your weight, preferably in a healthy weight range (non-obese BMI). In your case a Tummy Tuck Will remove the vast majority of the stretch marks between the belly button and pubis as well as flatten the tummy and nicely narrow the waist. If you have the surgery in January there is no reason why you should not be able to be ready for the Summer.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Stretch mark removal.

+1

The fact that you can get all of the stretch marks out with an abdominoplasty does not mean that is the best treatment. There are risk  even in a 26 year old.

We frequently do it to remove just stretch marks but the stretch marks can be improved by laser resurfacing and many are happy with just that.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is great for removing stretch marks below the belly button

+1

From you picture, it appears as though you're an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck!  The stretch marks below the belly button are typically removed during a tummy tuck, as well as tightening of the muscles.  As far as wearing a bikini for next summer, you should  be okay as long as you get the procedure in the next several months.  For some ideas of how you'll look, check out some before and after photos of women that have the same look as you do now.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

What a Tummy Tuck Does

+1

A tummy tuck removes skin and fat from the lower abdomen and tightens the underlying muscles. Liposuction is frequently added to improve the contours of the hip and lower back when indicated. Stretch mark removal is incidental to the skin removal. In others words, when the skin is removed, the stretch marks in that skin go along for the ride (off your body). 

Skin is removed from just above the belly button to the pubic region. More skin is removed centrally and the reduction decreases as the end of the incision is approached. Stretch marks within this area, the central lower abdomen, are removed. Stretch marks in the areas above the belly button and on the hips remain, but often become smoother.

While red or purple stretch marks can often lightened with a laser, there is no reliable way to erase stretch marks. The appearance can sometimes be mildly improved, but since the defect of the stretch mark is deep within the skin, only removing the skin removes the stretch mark.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Body after Baby: How to get rid of stretch marks

+1

A tummy tuck will remove the stretch marks below the belly button. Stretch marks above the belly button will be moved downward.   Thank you for the photo--very helpful!  You appear to be a great candidate for a tummy tuck and should have a beautiful result.  You can expect your muscles to be tightened to flatten your tummy.  You can expect to have loose skin removed, both above and below the belly button. And you can expect to lose those stretch marks below the belly button.

I'm sure you're doing your research before your procedure.  Be sure to check out lots of before/after photos and PLEASE be sure to see a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of PLASTIC Surgery (NOT "cosmetic surgery", as those docs are often not trained plastic surgeons at all!)

Carmen Kavali, MD

Some will go

+1
The stretch marks below your belly button will be removed. Those above will move down. But you do need to be seen.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Stretch mark removal

+1

You are an excellent candidate for a formal tummy tuck. All the skin from the belly button to the pubic hairline will be removed along with all the stretch marks in this distribution. Stretch marks present above the belly button will be relocated below the belly button.

Placement of the incision will fall within your bikini line. I will ask my patients to bring a bikini bottom or undergarment which is similar in style to help me locate the final incision within this area.

I agree with your plan to lose weight prior to the surgery. This will help you achieve your best result and you will be ready for your bikini in 2011.

Good luck.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon