Tummy Tuck Recovery?

I had a tummy tuck/lipo/muscle reapair done a month ago. My lower abdomen is really tight and numb with some swelling still. Will this ever go away? I find I have to wear my binder for relief beacuse of standing up on my job about 8 hours a day. My belly just gets tired-

Normal Recovery

+1

Numbness, swelling and tightness is normal one month after a tummy tuck with lipo. It will last 3-4 months but will resolve. Continue to wear a compression garment for comfort during the day. Best wishes.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck 1 Month Post Op

+1

It takes at least 6 weeks to recovery from any surgery. I am not surprised that you are experiencing numbness and swelling. You will notice many changes over the next several months. We recommend wearing the compression garment for months. Patients like the secure feeling of it. Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon for scar management, and to discuss your recovery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Numbness and Swelling in Abdomen after Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Als, It is very common after an abdominoplasty and liposuction to have some swelling and numbness in the lower abdomen at one month post surgery. It takes time for the body to heal and recover and as this process progresses, the numb areas will get smaller, though they may not completely go away, and the swelling will resolve. Since you have to spend so much time on your feet, it is not unusual for you to be experiencing the symptoms you describe. Instead of your binder, you may be more comfortable wearing a compression garment such as a Spanx or other similar device. You will want a high-waist garment (just under the breasts). These can be found a many stores or on-line. It sounds like you have made great progress to make it back to work and with a bit more time, the best is yet to come. Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon