Normal Tummy Tuck Recovery?

I had a Tummy Tuck 3 weeks ago. On the second day, I was out of bed, walking almost normal. I hear several people say that they could hardly stand straight, but I was able to stand straight after one week, with no pain. Is this normal?

Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty Recovery

+2

Thanks for the question. The healing period for a tummy tuck will vary from person to person, and this variation is based on several factors including: Type of tummy tuck (full abdominoplasty versus mini-tummy tuck, for example); fitness of patient prior to procedure; type of pain control utilized in the peri-operative period; and the patient's pain threshold. All these factors come into play in determining the recovery in the post-operative period. Your progress certainly falls within the "normal" parameters for recovery after a tummy tuck, albeit on the earlier side. Hope this helps!

Tummy Tuck Recovery is very variable

+2

Hi there-

Patients vary significantly in their recovery experience after tummy tuck surgery. There are now many different techniques described, and these will contribute to these differences, but also differing levels of fitness and different pain thresholds account for these variations.

If you are pleased with your outcome, I would consider myself lucky to be having such a pleasant recovery, as most patients do have more discomfort for the first week than it sounds like you are experiencing.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+1

Your Tummy Tuck experience sounds like it was a good one. In general, Tummy Tuck Recovery is dramatically improved with use of a pain pump during the post op period. Most all of my patients are able to stand up straight after one week. To learn more about the entire recovery recovery process following an Abdominoplasty procedure read more in the link below.

Ricardo L Rodriguez MD

Baltimore, Maryland

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Tummy Tuck Recovery Varies Greatly

+1

The range of what is "normal recovery" varies widely as does the complexity and extent of a tummy tuck surgery. Glad you are in the fast track for recovery as in some it takes from one to two weeks to feel comfortable standing up straight.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Post Tummy Tuck recovery

+1

Yes it is "normal." But normal is very variable. You sound like you got a good result from a good surgeon. Congratulations. Keep up the good work, but don't overdo it.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon